Holidays on the South Coast - suggestions?

Me and the fella are penny pinching this year and instead of going abroad for a fortnight we are considering hiring a little holiday home down south for seven days. It sounds lovely but we don't really know where.

I have looked on all the holiday cottages websites but they don't really tell you much about the surrounding area, so my question is, where abouts on the south coast do you go to get a bit of a tan, with good (and easily walkable) pubs/restaurants, and a few things to do? I guess what I am asking for is York on the coast - you know, somewhere with shopping, a bit of history and culture and good food and drink.

Further to this, does anyone have any recommendations as to where to stay? We would like a cottage but wouldn't mind something else although the idea of a caravan doesn't really appeal to me.

Thanks in advance all. :)

Have you tried Bournemouth and the surrounding area? I think Bournemouth is the better of the places along the south coast. It's really nice and not as brash as Brighton (which I also was going to suggest) lol.

You could always cross the Solent and come to the Isle of Wight. Lovely walks, plenty of pubs, wonderful scenery and plenty of beaches to choose from (some of which are quite secluded!) and our weather always tends to be that much better than the mainland.

Hi

Lymington is a nice place if you want a small town (typical seaside but not naff). There's a posh harbour; a few shops, lovely pubs and some great beaches on this stretch. We've been a few times and there's plenty of cottages/houses. It's not far from the New Forest and you can visit Poole or even Bournemouth if you need retail therapy.

I would recommend Suffolk as well if you don't want to go so far. Southwold, Aldeburgh etc are picturesque and plenty of walking, beaches & good bars, restaurants and shops.

Have a great time wherever you go! :)

South Devon is beautiful, I'm off down there in July, can't wait. Hope you find something to suit.

Thanks for your suggestions guys - keep em coming!

Ashanta - That does sound nice, and being near New Forest I can imagine there is some lovely walks too.

lainey - we did think about Isle of Wight but have been told it's a little bit expensive - although maybe its worth it for the weather!

There's loads of nice places in Devon and Cornwall, when I was a kid we spent a month at a time going round the coast from place to place camping, it was great and it never rained (in my memories anyway!) :cool:

The Isle of Wight is where we go for our holiday but mainly for the peace and quiet.:hihi:...Take a look here http://www.bournemouth.co.uk/ you might get a few ideas.

and here http://www.sortedsurfshop.co.uk/weather.asp?cam=bournemouth for the beach in real time. Not as many on the beach today as yesterday but you get the idea.....

Me and the fella are penny pinching this year and instead of going abroad for a fortnight we are considering hiring a little holiday home down south for seven days. It sounds lovely but we don't really know where.

I have looked on all the holiday cottages websites but they don't really tell you much about the surrounding area, so my question is, where abouts on the south coast do you go to get a bit of a tan, with good (and easily walkable) pubs/restaurants, and a few things to do? I guess what I am asking for is York on the coast - you know, somewhere with shopping, a bit of history and culture and good food and drink.

Further to this, does anyone have any recommendations as to where to stay? We would like a cottage but wouldn't mind something else although the idea of a caravan doesn't really appeal to me.

Thanks in advance all. :)

Lyme Regis is really nice - it's on the Dorset/Devon border, has lots of interesting independent shops, and is a good base for exploring the coast. Also great for fosiling, if that's your thing. There's a company called Lyme Bay Holidays that seems to have the monopoly on self catering accommodation, but we've used them before, and they are very helpful.

go down to eastbourne it is not full of retired people as reported,the area is full of history,and from newhaven you can have a day trip to france.there is loads of things for kids to see and the food prices are very good.

St Ives. Very busy though, at peak times.

Explore the coast around here too. The Minack open air theatre is worth a visit.

Lyme Regis is really nice - it's on the Dorset/Devon border, has lots of interesting independent shops, and is a good base for exploring the coast. Also great for fosiling, if that's your thing. There's a company called Lyme Bay Holidays that seems to have the monopoly on self catering accommodation, but we've used them before, and they are very helpful.

I agree Sausage Dog, we had a week there in 2006 and it's a lovely town.