Holidays on the South Coast - suggestions?

Lyme Regis is really nice - it's on the Dorset/Devon border, has lots of interesting independent shops, and is a good base for exploring the coast. Also great for fosiling, if that's your thing. There's a company called Lyme Bay Holidays that seems to have the monopoly on self catering accommodation, but we've used them before, and they are very helpful.

I agree Sausage Dog, we had a week there in 2006 and it's a lovely town.

We're going camping in Holywell Bay, nr Newquay. Lovely site, on the beach, with all facilities, and it's costing us £130 for the week, with electric hookup, car etc. We'd still do it if it wasn't so cheap as its so nice.

I know you said caravans are not prefferred but take a look here......top place!! Private beach and good onsite facillities.

Not far from Exeter,Beer,Exmouth etc.

http://www.ladrambay.co.uk/

If a cottage is paramount then try these people.We usd them a couple of years ago and cant fault them.

Similer area to Ladram bay.

http://www.milkberehols.com/

Enjoy!

Thanks for all your suggestions - Kenny, I definately like the idea of a day trip to france! This has definately given me something to chew on although I still can't decide where we want to go. We are quite a young couple (20 and 24) so like having stuff to do (although sitting around sunbathing is fine for a couple of days too - weather permitting. Where has some good historical areas - castles, cathederals etc?

Don't expect a cheap holiday going dawn saarf. Extortionate rip-off prices. You might find it cheaper going abroad in the long run. Why not look up north? Or what about Wales?

Rubbish, it's no more expensive down south as it is going to any part of the country.