Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Yeah I'm aware of that. I was just pointing out it would be nice. After all, as I pointed out, Barnsey is literally half the size of Sheffield yet has only a 2 platform rail link to 3 destinations (well 4 if you count Nottingham). It really should be better served. Putting in a new line to Manchester ties the region together a bit better, that's all. Which if we are really going for theis 'Northern Powerhouse' thing is all but essesntial.

To address some of thoise points though - its easier from Rotherham (just go to Meadowhall) and from Wakefield (to Leeds). Though both would benefit from another link via Barnsley. I suggested via Barnsley because some of the infrastructure is alreasy there - as are some plans.

What's this about Barnsley being half the size of Sheffield? Sheffield City itself has a population of 551,800, Barnsley Urban area is 71,599. The metropolitan population of Sheffield is 1,569,000 while the metropolitan population of Barnsley is 231,900.

Oh, and parts of Barnsley are actually nearer the Dearne Valley Line stations so they have extra connections to Leeds and Sheffield if they so wish. Including a later train back from Leeds at weekends.

What's this about Barnsley being half the size of Sheffield? Sheffield City itself has a population of 551,800, Barnsley Urban area is 71,599. The metropolitan population of Sheffield is 1,569,000 while the metropolitan population of Barnsley is 231,900.

That metrpolitan population of Sheffield figure includes Barnsley.... and Rotherham

Population of Sheffield is 551,0000

Edited by DnAuK

That metrpolitan population of Sheffield figure includes Barnsley.... and Rotherham

Population of Sheffield is 551,0000

So if we're comparing apples and apples it's 551,000 vs 71,599. There's a whole host of population outside of Rotherham and Barnsley that would be considered to be in Metropolitan Sheffield.

Rural populations don't really count for much in terms of railways as they are pretty inaccessible unless they have a station in their village.

Edited by smiggs

I see this has now gone off topic and turned into yet another insanely dull railways discussion....

Can anybody clarify which of the older buildings are being retained and which are going to be demolished? If it's just the post-war horrors that are being flattened I don't think many people will be too bothered as long as something better replaces them.

For example are we keeping Henry's, Yorkshireman, Tap and Tankard, Casbah etc. ?

In general I like the sound of the new proposals and I'm glad 7Stone never got built as that wasn't the right answer. But I'd like some more details.

In general I like the sound of the new proposals and I'm glad 7Stone never got built as that wasn't the right answer.

Is there much of a difference, aside from the exact layout of some of the streets?

Can anybody clarify which of the older buildings are being retained and which are going to be demolished? If it's just the post-war horrors that are being flattened I don't think many people will be too bothered as long as something better replaces them.

For example are we keeping Henry's, Yorkshireman, Tap and Tankard, Casbah etc. ?

In general I like the sound of the new proposals and I'm glad 7Stone never got built as that wasn't the right answer. But I'd like some more details.

The plan doesn't seem to show Henrys (the corner house) changing. It's still marked as being bar/restaurant and in the same location.

The Yorks Arms looks like it would probably go though.

Has the tap replaced the sportsman?

Is there much of a difference, aside from the exact layout of some of the streets?

All the older buildings would have been demolished in the 7Stone plan. We now seem to have recognised the value of keeping them. That's a big plus.

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 07:35 ----------

Video of how it could look:

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 08:01 ----------

The plan doesn't seem to show Henrys (the corner house) changing. It's still marked as being bar/restaurant and in the same location.

The Yorks Arms looks like it would probably go though.

Has the tap replaced the sportsman?

I can't tell about the pubs from the video or plans but it looks like the bottom half of Cambridge St is flattened so Henry's probably goes, which would be a shame. Overall it looks a good plan to me so I hope they get the fine details right like not losing the old buildings that people like.

There's now a marquee on Fargate with the plans apparently:

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/tag/sheffield-retail-quarter/

All the older buildings would have been demolished in the 7Stone plan. We now seem to have recognised the value of keeping them. That's a big plus.

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 07:35 ----------

Video of how it could look:

---------- Post added 05-06-2015 at 08:01 ----------

I can't tell about the pubs from the video or plans but it looks like the bottom half of Cambridge St is flattened so Henry's probably goes, which would be a shame. Overall it looks a good plan to me so I hope they get the fine details right like not losing the old buildings that people like.

There's now a marquee on Fargate with the plans apparently:

http://www.sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/tag/sheffield-retail-quarter/

Hope we don't lose the Athol one of my favourite pubs ever.

I think this is an excellent development and I hope they get it done quicker than they did with Penistone Road (relatively speaking) but I suspect not... One small point of discontent for me is the fact that we will now seemingly get the ugly and outdated BT building looming over the whole city-landscape in the visual lines from the Fargate extension. But we can't have everything.

Hasn't the BT building just had/having a facelift? I think it looks much better now.