Apple Tablet Announcement

Cynic

If MS release this device, it will fit the hole that Jobs falsely claims exists between Phones and laptops [ignoring the fact that netbooks exist and actually do a great job for many people].

Looking at the Courier demo, I just want one as it is really desirable, far more so that an eviscerated MacBook Air which is itself a crippled laptop. I really like small/light computers, yet I may be buying a PC small form factor device before I buy a squished iPod Touch, that doesn't do anything I need from a small computer.

I'm actually quite impressed with the iPad, it's pretty much exactly as I expected it to be, a big iPhone/iPod Touch. If it can get a bash shell and SSH client on it then it would also be extremely useful for my job, without it then only moderately useful..... I'll be keeping an eye on it either way. Having a light, easy to use, quick tablet for meetings where I can take notes, update my calendar, use our web based management tools and manage to-do items in Things is very attractive... I find laptops/notebooks etc. a pain in the arse in meetings.

Edited by fnkysknky

So it's another closed device from Apple. It will be popular but I don't know why. You can only download stuff Apple approve. It seems like you can't even do multitasking. So no listening to music while you browse the net. No flash video as Apple don't like propriety formats. I don't know how they get away with it.

Hopefully cheaper better copycats will follow as the format seems like it is going to be big, Apple will have probably got the market wrapped up already though.

So it's another closed device from Apple. It will be popular but I don't know why. You can only download stuff Apple approve.<snip> I don't know how they get away with it.

I think that's the point. By knowing exactly what runs on a device they can guarantee the user experience. Knowing something "just works" is attractive to an awful lot of consumers.

Yep they'll be alternatives that people can tweak/mod/load what they want to on. Just like tablets and UMPC's. They didn't take off though. And user experience is one of the main reasons. By clearly saying "this device does this", and not "this device does this, you can fiddle with it to make it do some other stuff but the battery'll die just when you need it and it'll crash all the time" might get them a good deal of dollars.

I'm no Apple fan, but I can see what they're doing here.

I'm actually quite impressed with the iPad, it's pretty much exactly as I expected it to be, a big iPhone/iPod Touch. If it can get a bash shell and SSH client on it then it would also be extremely useful for my job, without it then only moderately useful..... I'll be keeping an eye on it either way. Having a light, easy to use, quick tablet for meetings where I can take notes, update my calendar, use our web based management tools and manage to-do items in Things is very attractive... I find laptops/notebooks etc. a pain in the arse in meetings.

once its Jailbroken you can get as Bash shell and SSH client on it no problem, since these already exist for the JB'd iPhone

Given the functionality vs price point angle, wrong economical context for the launch. In the US, which I'd expect to be their prime markert, and in the UK, 'gadget capital' of Europe.

I'm not seeing much difference relative to earlier, similar products (although, of course, I would'nt underestimate Apple's wunder-marketing types). Unless they do something drastic with pricing (as in: looooow), I think it'll tank.