Apple Tablet Announcement

Cynic

I think that's the point. By knowing exactly what runs on a device they can guarantee the user experience. Knowing something "just works" is attractive to an awful lot of consumers.
But the reality is Apple stuff doesn't just work, anymore than other companies products, that's just marketing BS that fanbois swallow hook, line and sinker. I

Apple software is buggy, hence the constant stream of updates and bug fixes, software designed for Apples can be buggy and the hardware despite the high prices can be faulty. Much of their 'simple' software is actually simplistic which makes for a more difficult user experience, not an easier one.

Crippled laptops... buy something else instead of complaining something doesn't suit you.
I may well, a PC that does what I want not what some numpty Apple think I should do.

Apple controlling its customers... The usual bullocks from idiots.
Or an accurate assesment. Apple are control freaks. Even the Apple magazines say as much and when one of them recently wrote an article on this, many people were afraid to say anything as Apple are so bullying.

I may well, a PC that does what I want not what some numpty Apple think I should do.

Or an accurate assesment. Apple are control freaks. Even the Apple magazines say as much and when one of them recently wrote an article on this, many people were afraid to say anything as Apple are so bullying.

Closed systems... the above post is right.
Funny how people are so keen to get out of this system then, to make their phone/tablet work better.

This article just about sums it up for me...

The Ipad is a netbook without the usable keyboard. It is an Iphone without the phone. It is a games machine that can't do graphics well. It is an e-book reader without the e-ink to make the print easy to see. In short, it is the veritable chocolate teapot of hardware.

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no multi-tasking, so if you wanted a tune playing while you read your forums, I'm afraid you would be out of luck (and that doesn't look like changing, as it was one of the biggest "I want" things before it came out, but they apparently ignored it)

Yeah because of battery drain.

Maybe they will include an option to M/T in a future update?

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no multi-tasking, so if you wanted a tune playing while you read your forums, I'm afraid you would be out of luck (and that doesn't look like changing, as it was one of the biggest "I want" things before it came out, but they apparently ignored it)

thats wrong, the iPod app will play music in the background while your reading, just like the iPhone and iPod touch will/do...

theres alternatives
Here's a good one, half the price (prob even cheaper now) and many multiple times the functionality.

My one thought?

"That's it, I'm getting an Archos 7".

Now, I'm a great fan (not pushing all the way to fanboy, tho :D) of Archos, have had/still have several of their products, but I'd still give that a miss: still too closed a system compared to the above 'proper PC' slate, and (in true Archos legacy/fashion) an absolute nightmare to sort out if anything ever goes wrong with it.

My 605 may have a much smaller screen than the iPad, but it does pretty much everything the iPad does (essentials: media, web, pdf/e-books), without DRM, and the 4GB version can be had for less than £50 on fleaBay these days ;)