Man denied benefits after leaving Spain.

So because the appropriate laws were applied the DSS are wrong. Strange i'd have thought people woul dhave supported the upholding of the integrity of the claims being rejected.

Or is it just 'cos he's British born we think he should be treated better.

I'm an immigrant, and I can string two English words together - Housing Benefit.

Can you do this one?

Plane home?

:hihi:

So because the appropriate laws were applied the DSS are wrong. Strange i'd have thought people woul dhave supported the upholding of the integrity of the claims being rejected.

Or is it just 'cos he's British born we think he should be treated better.

Most of you lot would be singing a different tune if it were Mr mohammed and his brood of 10 kids that were denied benefits!

I worked in benefits so here are the facts:

- The Habitual Residence Test applies to the majority of people coming to the UK from abroad. Unlike many Forum posters, it does not discriminate on the grounds of race or nationality.

- Asylum seekers are able to claim an allowance, but this is usually after a spell in a detention centre and stringent tests to prove their claim. The amount they get is lower than the basic rate of JSA, which is the minimum amount the government has decided people need to live on. They get accommodated in areas where there is a surplus of accommodation, often because locals don't want to live there because of the location or the quality of the accommodation.

- Illegal immigrants can't claim anything because to do so would alert the government to their presence, and deportation would follow.

-There has never been a gay allowance! :hihi:

I worked in benefits so here are the facts:

- The Habitual Residence Test applies to the majority of people coming to the UK from abroad. Unlike many Forum posters, it does not discriminate on the grounds of race or nationality.

- Asylum seekers are able to claim an allowance, but this is usually after a spell in a detention centre and stringent tests to prove their claim. The amount they get is lower than the basic rate of JSA, which is the minimum amount the government has decided people need to live on. They get accommodated in areas where there is a surplus of accommodation, often because locals don't want to live there because of the location or the quality of the accommodation.

- Illegal immigrants can't claim anything because to do so would alert the government to their presence, and deportation would follow.

-There has never been a gay allowance! :hihi:

Don't spoil their fun with facts and common sense! :hihi:

Nothing like charity begins at home.

After years of paying into the system we treat a family like this.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/man-is-denied-benefits-after.5923185.jp

The problem, as far as I see it, is that he has land that he owns (and is probably registered in his name) in Spain.

Thinking beyond this specific case, the rule he has fallen foul of is probably designed to prevent fraudulent claims being made in both countries (i.e. in Spain and the UK).

He is probably genuine and honest, but the 'system' doesn't know that as the 'system' just deals in facts.

As the spokesperson for the DWP said "If, for instance, they had the property up for sale, implying they were intending to move permanently, this might make a difference."

It may also be a 'means' test situation - in that the land may be considered worth a significant amount of money and, as such, is an asset which could rise his claim above a certain threshold.

There is more to this, I suspect, than is being reported by either the Star or the 'victim'.

Mind, I did like the rant about 'foreigners'. Keep the immigration issue bubbling, eh? ;)

Edited by jeremyjh1
smiley in the wrong place

But the whole point of the benefits system is to find ways of refusing to pay people any benefit. A hugh army of well paid people is employed for that very purpose. That way politicians will be more popular with the voters.

the bloke needs his wife to claim family tax credits for her kids and in doing so hope she can claim for her husband from some other kind of benefit (if any)but probably wont get anything

There is more to this, I suspect, than is being reported by either the Star or the 'victim'.

Isn’t that usually the case, some people should really get out more.

tell him to go back to spain...get rid of all his documentation...jump on a lorry and enter the country illegally......tell the authorities he's from afghanistan...then it's nice house,car and a monthly dole cheque...happy days

I was going to say that you couldn't make this up.

But you can, you just demonstrated it, completely made up and unrelated to the real world.

Don't spoil their fun with facts and common sense! :hihi:

Damn it - you beat me to that post! :hihi:

I was going to say that you couldn't make this up.

But you can, you just demonstrated it, completely made up and unrelated to the real world.

Ignorance is bliss, why burst their bubble.