Police giving on the spot fines for careless driving

Not totally accurate, I dont work in any of these jobs but for certain work I need to have an up to date disclosure to show I have a clean criminal record.

Everything I wrote came from the CRB website. You can check if you like.

Do you mean you have to have an up-to-date CRB check or do you have to disclose any criminal convictions, as these are not the same thing.

If you don’t mind me asking, what job do you do?

Everything I wrote came from the CRB website. You can check if you like.

Do you mean you have to have an up-to-date CRB check or do you have to disclose any criminal convictions, as these are not the same thing.

If you don’t mind me asking, what job do you do?

I sometimes have to provide a CRB Disclosure to prove my criminal record, is this different to a CRB check?

I'm inclined to. I've experienced police less aware of the applicable law (under the circumstances) than I was, on several occasions.

Anecdotally, it's usually the same-old same-old 'you must exchange your (EU Member State) driving license for a (UK/IE/B/LU - delete as applicable, depending on country I lived in at the time) license'.

Short answer: No, I don't (or "not until I'm 70" in the UK)

Not knowing the law is one thing, not knowing how a car works is another, I've just heard too many "cop stories" that end with "and then I just told him...(insert as required) and (s)he was dead embarrased" to believe any of them I'm afraid.

If they're going to do it, the police have to be a bit more "sensible".

I've heard of cases where the police have been extremely harsh for very little things.

Number plates for example. A website I know people buy number plates off which are the stamped ones (metal) and are a lot more durable than the typical plastic ones. The website produce legal ones yet a guy got stopped and fined for having them.

Originally Posted by iansheff

Where do you come up with that gem from? Motorists are targetted everytime to increase money for one scheme or another, where are motorists subsidised? Look at the Sheffield hospitals £1.1 million pound raised from motorists for parking at hospitals. If you speed you deserve to be fined but speed cameras don't catch bad motorists or careless motorists they are there to control speed and make money for local authorities.

Driving a car is a choice. You must be aware it's going to be expensive when you decide to do it. If you're caught speeding you have only yourself to blame, likewise with careless driving. Drive well and stay within the limits and stop whinging.

I would learn to read posts correctly before making a comment if I was you, I said that you deserve to be fined if you speed. I wasn't whinging I made a comment that motorists are an easy option to use to raise funds, i.e. hospital parking.

I sometimes have to provide a CRB Disclosure to prove my criminal record, is this different to a CRB check?

I think a CRB disclosure is the results of a CRB check which you present to the people who asked for it.

I have never personally had one but my girlfriend does and she also works for agencies so she has to provide new ones all the time.

What job is it you do that requires a CRB check that’s not in the normal list?

Not knowing the law is one thing, not knowing how a car works is another, I've just heard too many "cop stories" that end with "and then I just told him...(insert as required) and (s)he was dead embarrased" to believe any of them I'm afraid.
You have a small point, for sure. But ...how many young'uns and even not-so-young'uns these days know where and how to check the oil level, never mind that pulling the handbrake doesn't light the brake lights (or that, depending on the car and model, some cars will light the brake lights when the brake pedal is depressed without ignition, and some others won't, etc, etc.) ;)

Kid yourself not, police has given my car(s) the "full once ever" many a time and under the flimsiest of pretences, when they couldn't pin me for what they thought they were going to. Good job I've always maintained my car(s) according to Napoleon's old mantra ("the horse, the saddle, the man") :D

To get back on-topic, every jurisdiction I've lived and driven in, and which implements this type of on-the-spot policing, has seen revenues baloon and an unprecedented clogging of recourse channels (Courts, administrative tribunals, police tribunals, etc... except in Ireland where your average Joe is still downright terrified/intimated by Gardai and the automatic double-penalty 'system')

Edited by L00b

There's no evidence the cops will be under pressure to bump up fines. They don't bump up fines for graffiti or public urination. There's no prize for the cop who hands out the most fines.

Almost everyone will agree there are too many numpty drivers on the roads, as for the decision on careless driving being subjective, well yes! Who better placed to decide whether it's dangerous than a copper?

You can avoid fines for careless driving by not driving carelessly, just as you can avoid the other fines by not drawing spaffing cocks on the wall or taking a wazz in the street

And besides, if stopped for an offence, the officer is duty bound to offer you the option of going to court - besides some offences/speeds (50/30 for example) cannot be dealt with at the roadside. Even after accepting the ticket, you can still opt to go to court instead, and go before the mags.

The choice to accept the ticket is yours, not the police officers.

There's no evidence the cops will be under pressure to bump up fines. They don't bump up fines for graffiti or public urination. There's no prize for the cop who hands out the most fines.

Almost everyone will agree there are too many numpty drivers on the roads, as for the decision on careless driving being subjective, well yes! Who better placed to decide whether it's dangerous than a copper?

You can avoid fines for careless driving by not driving carelessly, just as you can avoid the other fines by not drawing spaffing cocks on the wall or taking a wazz in the street

And besides, if stopped for an offence, the officer is duty bound to offer you the option of going to court - besides some offences/speeds (50/30 for example) cannot be dealt with at the roadside. Even after accepting the ticket, you can still opt to go to court instead, and go before the mags.

The choice to accept the ticket is yours, not the police officers.

BUT, motorists are easy targets and easy pickings and there are lots of them?They are easier to persecute?