Police giving on the spot fines for careless driving

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8206463.stm

Now i'm sure it has been covered before but what does everyone think about this? If you get caught driving "carelessly" you can face a £60 fine and 3 points. Now if the policeman has had a bad day, and your convinced you haven't done anything wrong - its going to be your word against theirs. Who do you think will be believed?

Personally I think its a terrible idea. I do believe that if you can't drive safely you shouldn't drive at all, however, sometimes it can happen to the best of us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8206463.stm

Now i'm sure it has been covered before but what does everyone think about this? If you get caught driving "carelessly" you can face a £60 fine and 3 points. Now if the policeman has had a bad day, and your convinced you haven't done anything wrong - its going to be your word against theirs. Who do you think will be believed?

Personally I think its a terrible idea. I do believe that if you can't drive safely you shouldn't drive at all, however, sometimes it can happen to the best of us.

Or it's your word against their video evidence?

So what driving activities would qualify as "careless" do you think?

Maybe, though, we could post on here, "traffic cops seen operating on xxx Rd" (a bit like the regular "camera seen on ..") And we can all make sure our driving is up to standard on that road if we get to read that post ....

But then we could try and get rid of the suggestion that it is alright/OK/normal to drive in a rubbish way "sometimes."

Excellent news. The roads are largely unpoliced, we only have a measly 3500 speed cameras across the whole country. In parts of the country 1 in 10 cars is uninsured. Driving whilst on a mobile is rife.

Ten children a year are killed in stabbings, a shocking figure.

Ten children EVERY DAY are killed or seriously injured on the roads, where's the outrage at that figure?

Bring it on, fine the idiots, get them off the roads.

Excellent news. The roads are largely unpoliced, we only have a measly 3500 speed cameras across the whole country. In parts of the country 1 in 10 cars is uninsured. Driving whilst on a mobile is rife.

Ten children a year are killed in stabbings, a shocking figure.

Ten children EVERY DAY are killed or seriously injured on the roads, where's the outrage at that figure?

Bring it on, fine the idiots, get them off the roads.

I agree that dangerous driving should be punished, but not by some overzealous young whipper snapper cop who is just out to get sixty quids and some stripes! Judges and magistrates are there to pass sentence having heard all the evidence.

The police are obviously going to be biased to get the sixty quids in!

One step nearer to a police state.

Much more mundane, delicious as your "police state" paranoia/persecution complex might be for some on here..

IF it happens, the move to a FPN for careless driving rather than a time-consuming paperwork-loaded court appearance is to keep the few traffic cops on the road doing traffic coppering, I believe.

The end-result of having more flesh and blood PC's, more eyes and ears out and about on our roads counts as worth trying in my book.

As a motorist I already feel very persecuted, but to put a weapon like this into the polices persecution armoury would be lunacy. They would greatly abuse their power to create many many more sixty quids. It is their job to detect crime NOT to sentence!

What do you expect from a Government that tried to introduce trials without a jury?

People complain Police spent too much time doing paperwork (aka preparing evidence for court) and not enough time out and about.

A change is suggested that might reduce that paperwork (I'm guessing obviously, they may still have to write out the ticket in triplicate when they get back to base for all I know!) and people complain about that.

Are they rounding up motorists in camps?

Forcing them to wear yellow stars?

'Persecuted motorists' my arse, motorists are the most cossetted and subsidised members of society, the cost of private motoring has declined over thirty years, the chances of detection for careless driving is almost non-existent.