Police giving on the spot fines for careless driving

Yep, he was on the Mosborough bypass late one night. They'd followed him for about ten minutes then pulled him over for a spot check.

He had to show the the officers (both women) that the brake lights don't come on when you apply the handbrake by requesting they do the same with their car.

WOW....he should have written to The National newspapers:hihi::hihi::huh:

Driving a car is a choice. You must be aware it's going to be expensive when you decide to do it. If you're caught speeding you have only yourself to blame, likewise with careless driving. Drive well and stay within the limits and stop whinging.

I agree with this completely. But what about if the person was adament that they were not driving carelessly, they had witnesses to justify this, but the policeperson said otherwise? I've seen lots of things that look dangerous from one angle but on further inspection is not. How do you know when the policeperson is right or just mistaken??

A speeding fine is no more a 'stealth tax' than a fine for spraying cocks on walls or urinating in the street. Don't do the crime, don't get fined, simple!
If only it was that simple :rolleyes: (then I'd fully agree with you). Unfortunately, it's not, because you have to put such policies in the context of the Police's existing periodical (weekly/monthly) targets. With such a policy, think of traffic police as mobile reps (without commission :huh: my intel (from the horse's mouth) extends to confirmation of periodical targets, but not financial incentives) for cash-strapped UK Plc.

FWIW, whenever and wherever I have been caught for a driving offence, I've always put my hand up if it was indeed a driving offence (but stood my ground -politely- if it was not). Experience has taught me that police prefer by far to deal with a calm, straight-up and rational person, as it saves their time and lowers their stress level. And more often than not, that results in a caution or simple slap on wrist, rather than a ticket ;)

I've still had enough run-ins over the decades, with traffic cops in many countries invariably on a bad power trip, to know that inequitable convictions will happen (and I will gladly acknowledge, without tongue in cheek, other cops whom I have found to be shining examples of everything you'd expect from a fair, objective and balanced law enforcing officer - and that's whether they "did" me or not).

If the on-the-spot system is not balanced by a fair chance at defending oneself in Court when contesting the charge (and by fair, I mean objective rather than coercive), then that's when you've definitely got a stealth tax (that's what's been happening in the Republic of Ireland for the last 6 or 7 years). If this policy is brought about, then only time (and developing Case Law in that area) will tell whether it's one or not for sure.

Edited by L00b

The one important thing that no one has mentioned is that you don't just get a £60 fine. Careless driving is a criminal offense and so you also get a criminal conviction and a criminal record.

All this without a trial.

It's increasingly common to need a CBR check for employment this conviction will show up, meaning that you won't be allowed to do that job. It's potentially a lot more than a £60 fine.

It’s not increasingly common to require a CRB check for employment unless you work with children or vulnerable adults or in some cases those wishing to work in the legal and accountancy professions. 99% of jobs will not require one.

The Criminal Records Bureau hold more than convictions too, so you may find you already have something against your name if you have been cautioned, reprimanded or given a warning by the police in England and Wales.

Driving a car is a choice. You must be aware it's going to be expensive when you decide to do it. If you're caught speeding you have only yourself to blame, likewise with careless driving. Drive well and stay within the limits and stop whinging.

INCORRECT. Many people drive a car because there is no other way they can get to work. I used to have a 40 miles round trip to work, there was no public transport available......and EVERYONE speeds at times.

Originally Posted by alchresearch

Yep, he was on the Mosborough bypass late one night. They'd followed him for about ten minutes then pulled him over for a spot check.

He had to show the the officers (both women) that the brake lights don't come on when you apply the handbrake by requesting they do the same with their car.

I'd love to say I believe this story, but I don't:suspect:

It’s not increasingly common to require a CRB check for employment unless you work with children or vulnerable adults or in some cases those wishing to work in the legal and accountancy professions. 99% of jobs will not require one.

The Criminal Records Bureau hold more than convictions too, so you may find you already have something against your name if you have been cautioned, reprimanded or given a warning by the police in England and Wales.

Not totally accurate, I dont work in any of these jobs but for certain work I need to have an up to date disclosure to show I have a clean criminal record.

I'd love to say I believe this story, but I don't:suspect:
I'm inclined to. I've experienced police less aware of the applicable law (under the circumstances) than I was, on several occasions.

Anecdotally, it's usually the same-old same-old 'you must exchange your (EU Member State) driving license for a (UK/IE/B/LU - delete as applicable, depending on country I lived in at the time) license'.

Short answer: No, I don't (or "not until I'm 70" in the UK)

Edited by L00b