Bad Sheffield Drivers!

:thumbsup: or you could just overtake. Why do some drivers get right up your backend instead of just pulling back a bit and then overtaking. Usually men when the driver in front is a woman.

I have signs on the back of my car for these idiots.

Probably because overtaking is a manoevre that is not adequately covered during driving tuition, and many fail to realise that keeping a distance and only closing the gap with accelleration whilst approaching a possible safe overtaking opportunity makes the whole overtaking thing quicker, smoother and easier. Perhaps there is a case for driving lower-powered cars for a few years after passing, you have to learn how to position yourself and gain momentum when approaching an overtaking opportunity, rather than to rely solely on engine power and accelleration rate. Some don't seem to realise that it's quite possible to perform safe overtaking and make brisk but safe progress in a 1.0 litre vehicle if you know how to overtake.

But then, try doing that on the snake and often some arrogant prat will barrel past a row of cars on the approach to a blind bend and swerve into the gap you left at the last moment to avoid a head on collision, back tyres spitting up gravel at your windscreen as they grind into the verge... the problem with leaving a safe gap is some prat will usually push into it.

But overtake at all and you'll awaken the speed-sheep to monotonously bleat on, as they do, as safely overtaking a vehicle travelling at 40mph on the snake usually involves temporarily breaking the 50mph speed limit (far better to use common sense and judgement and accelerate to 60 whilst passing, than to stay on the wrong side of the road for twice as long, passing with the needle rigidly at 50)

Then some high horse Arnold Rimmer type will rattle on about rules being rules and briefly speeding to expedite the overtaking manoevre being the height of recklessness and anti-social behaviour and the root of all the evil in the world today because technically for a few seconds you were breaking the law......

I use the XXXX XXXXX lane to enter XXXXXXXXXX (1st exit, valid use of the lanes).

Please don't give away that secret but legitimate use of lanes....everyone will start doing it and it will remove that useful little free pass around the queue behind the 30 year old gold Talbot setting off, piloted by a straw boater wearing gentleman who has had his car for 30 years because it never goes above 2000rpm.

As i work mainly in the South West of the city, the most annoying, is women, and yes women who drive either big 7 seaters or Chelsea Tractors(4x4) who have that invisable extra 2ft on the side of the cars(passenger side) and need to drive in the middle of the road.

You should be up to the speed limit if conditions allow, otherwise you can be pulled for driving without due care & attention. Time to have another look at your highway code.

Well l took your advice and checked out the highway code (see below, point 125)

No where does it say you MUST drive at the maximum limit, nor does it mention being pulled for driving without due care and attention.

There is a road close to where l live that has a 50mph limit, hardly anyone drives at that speed on it, because in spite of what the highways agency thinks, the road is not suitable for those speeds. The ones who try the bends at 50 usually end up upside down or crashing into oncoming vehicles.

Let the discussions begin!

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when

the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends

sharing the road with pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, particularly children, and motorcyclists

weather conditions make it safer to do so

driving at night as it is more difficult to see other road users

someone in the fast lane next to me on the M1 the other day decided they wanted to take the exit they were about to pass. I had 2 choices - crash at a high speed into someone pulling a sharp left in front of me, or turn off too.

It made me late for work, but better late than dead on time.

Well l took your advice and checked out the highway code (see below, point 125)

No where does it say you MUST drive at the maximum limit, nor does it mention being pulled for driving without due care and attention.

There is a road close to where l live that has a 50mph limit, hardly anyone drives at that speed on it, because in spite of what the highways agency thinks, the road is not suitable for those speeds. The ones who try the bends at 50 usually end up upside down or crashing into oncoming vehicles.

Let the discussions begin!

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when

the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends

sharing the road with pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, particularly children, and motorcyclists

weather conditions make it safer to do so

driving at night as it is more difficult to see other road users

Try searching it for 'making reasonable progress' or a phrase like that.

No one suggested that you should always drive at the speed limit, particularly if it's not safe.

But if it is safe to do so then driving excessively slowly would be an offence. Excessive is never defined of course, it's up to a police officer to decide, I think 40 in a 60 zone for no good reason is excessively slow though.

I’m sure some good driver will tell me off for possibly causing an accident but then again if the drivers used the correct lane they would never have been forced to drive off up the wrong road in the first place. Again the lane these people used happened to be the one with the least traffic in each time.
Some don't know the road you got to give them some slack, it's perfectly reasonable to assume both lanes will go ahead, in fact, that junction should be changed to provide this. Funnelling all traffic in one lane creates the situation you describe.

The do-gooder is you, you're not the road police, if you respect safe distance between you and the vehicle ahead an indicating vehicles can and is allowed to insert itself between you and the car in front. You are the bad driver for not driving at the same speed as other vehicles in your lane, for being an idiot for driving stuck to the neighbouring car.

Not everyone has to drive at the maximum speed limit for the road. 40 mph in a 50mph limit seems fine to me. If you find that you are being held up by slower drivers, perhaps you should leave earlier!

Im sure you wont have forgotten but thats enough to FAIL a driving test it also points towards inconsiderate driving.

its nt jus other ppl with bad driving...i admit i get a bit out ov hand sumtimes...but sum silly prat neally took me door off racing up a one way st the wrong way 2day nr hillsborough..cant ppl read a road sign?

Almost as bad as the "drivers" who decide to turn right into Holme Lane from Walkley Lane (the worst culprits being SCC employees - street farce):|

If anywhere could benefit from cameras, this junction is one of them!

Some don't know the road you got to give them some slack, it's perfectly reasonable to assume both lanes will go ahead, in fact, that junction should be changed to provide this. Funnelling all traffic in one lane creates the situation you describe.

The do-gooder is you, you're not the road police, if you respect safe distance between you and the vehicle ahead an indicating vehicles can and is allowed to insert itself between you and the car in front. You are the bad driver for not driving at the same speed as other vehicles in your lane, for being an idiot for driving stuck to the neighbouring car.

It's possible to be next to a car in the adjacent lane whilst still respecting your braking gap.