Bad Sheffield Drivers!

People who, when turning right don't get in a position close to the white line and cause everyone else to wait cos their back end is blocking the way.

People who, wait for the lights to go to green before finding first gear, checking their mirror, letting off the handbrake, then eventually moving off as the lights turn red.

People who, approach a roundabout in the outside lane, head straight across to the inside lane on the roundabout, then exit back across to the outside lane.

People who, don't give way to traffic coming uphill towards them.

People who, when passing parked cars, give YOU the finger when it's them on the wrong side of the road ???????

People who, overtake on the inside on motorways.

People who, refuse to race me away from the lights (joking)!!

All bad drivers,,,, rant over.:hihi:

I'm with you on most of those apart from the roundabout thing. If nothings coming I will take the most direct route through a roundabout. I don't do it when other traffic is on it though.

also, undertaking on motorways is sometimes the only option when you've got a middle or right lane hogger.

Not everyone has to drive at the maximum speed limit for the road. 40 mph in a 50mph limit seems fine to me. If you find that you are being held up by slower drivers, perhaps you should leave earlier!

It's people that drive too slowly for the road and it's conditions, that infuriate other drivers into overtaking them. Also worth noting that most speed limits are low for the conditions, so if you're doing 40 in a 50, you're not making progress.

Well l took your advice and checked out the highway code (see below, point 125)

No where does it say you MUST drive at the maximum limit, nor does it mention being pulled for driving without due care and attention.

There is a road close to where l live that has a 50mph limit, hardly anyone drives at that speed on it, because in spite of what the highways agency thinks, the road is not suitable for those speeds. The ones who try the bends at 50 usually end up upside down or crashing into oncoming vehicles.

Let the discussions begin!

The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions is dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when

the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends

sharing the road with pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, particularly children, and motorcyclists

weather conditions make it safer to do so

driving at night as it is more difficult to see other road users

You will also note that this section says 'irrespective of conditions'. I think Cyclone said 'unless in bad conditions'. In normal road conditions, there is no excuse for doing 40 in a 60.

If that fails, every now and then gently depress the brake pedal just enough for the sensors to light up the brake lights. Then hold your left hand up and waggle your finger in a disapproving way. Now that one really does work!

I think this very dangerous.

If on the motorway I find pulling into a lane left of the one I'm in and allowing them to pass usually works just to avoid danger and let them apply their practices to someone else.

However, if I find them particularly obnoxious and intrusive then i'll gently reduce my speed in 1mph increments using cruise control and watch their blood pressure rise exponetially :)

If the car was struggling going up a hill you should have changed down a gear, otherwise, there's something seriously wrong with you car's engine.

I'd say so. 25mph on a clear road and just ridiculous! and if your car can't manage 30mph regardless of a steep hill then there's a problem with it.

I'd certainly overtaken you but perhaps just privately thought you shouldn't have been on the road.

the car is fine ;)

there was no point dropping a gear and speeding up for the sake of 5mph, then needing to slow down 30 metres further in order to turn right. i was more peeved about the idiot shouting and swearing as he was quite obviously breaking the law by approaching so fast and dissappearing into the distance rather promptly.

A flashing green man means that the driver has a flashing amber and the right of way unless you are already on the crossing. You should not start to cross when the green man is flashing. You're lucky you didn't cause an accident.

An entirely different philosophy in North America, Cyclone, where the pedestrian always has the right of way at a crosswalk or at street intersections where lights are not installed. In my previous posting, I didn't mention the incident in Windermere where, assuming the same common sense rules applied, I started to cross the road only to see that a motorist actually accelerated so he could beat me to it. Me causing an accident? Sorry, I think the regulations in the UK, if they do indeed favor the motorist over the pedestrian in such situations have it the wrong way round. Some of those drivers would pretty soon discover this if they tried driving in the same way over here. In a pedestrian/motorist conflict there's no contest and motorists really need to respect this. The two fingers I got in Sheffield? Is that part of the Highway Code?

I don't remember Sheffield drivers being this rude and oblivious to public safety, but then I haven't been back for a number of years. Why aren't the police dishing out tickets? In Canada, traffic offences that endanger the lives of pedestrians are severely dealt with. Thank goodness I decided not to rent a car on this trip.

Yes, I have many good memories of my trip to Sheffield. Alas, the motorists are not among them.

I'm going to have to go with the road driver on this one, you shouldn't have crossed the road. As it's been posted a few posts above, flashing green man means you should hastily finish crossing the road but cannot begin to cross: press the button. You endangered your own life by crossing the road in traffic whilst you when you were not meant to.

I'm with you on most of those apart from the roundabout thing. If nothings coming I will take the most direct route through a roundabout. I don't do it when other traffic is on it though.
There are lanes in a roundabout, unless you drive a taxi you cannot choose an arbitrary course for where you want to go, being a good driver you go in the lane that points to your exit and follow it. Irrespective of traffic or not, cutting through lanes is wrong and potentially dangerous.
also, undertaking on motorways is sometimes the only option when you've got a middle or right lane hogger.
So annoying and nail biting but sometimes, what can someone do other than nothing?
It takes two to have a crash. With so many visitors (including ex-pats) of different nationalities over here we should always spare a thought for those might get it wrong and ANY thought that it's somehow OK to hit a pedestrian because it wasn't his turn to be on the road is very poor driving attitude. And we haven't as yet gone down the road to fining pedestrians for jaywalking. (Imagine the SF squeals of "stealth tax on pedestrians" if we did!)
Not really, going abroad and ignorance is not an excuse, highway code and law are there, not knowing about them are not an excuse. They should be studied before visiting the country in question.
It's possible to be next to a car in the adjacent lane whilst still respecting your braking gap.
The security distance is between the car driven and the cars behind and in front. I said driving next to a car when there is nothing in front or behind that one is stupid as it means two lanes are used by two vehicles travelling at the same speed; the definition of lane hogging.

I'm going to have to go with the road driver on this one, you shouldn't have crossed the road. As it's been posted a few posts above, flashing green man means you should hastily finish crossing the road but cannot begin to cross: press the button. You endangered your own life by crossing the road in traffic whilst you when you were not meant to.

You misinterpreted my previous posting. The pedestrians were lined up on the sidewalk ( = pavement) waiting to cross. Cars zipping by. We (actually, I) pressed the button. Then the lights changed and the flashing green man lit up. We were not in the process of crossing at all. Sad to see people trying to excuse this behavior.

to.

There are lanes in a roundabout, unless you drive a taxi you cannot choose an arbitrary course for where you want to go, being a good driver you go in the lane that points to your exit and follow it. Irrespective of traffic or not, cutting through lanes is wrong and potentially dangerous..

I wouldn't do it if it were dangerous. I see no point in taking the long way round when there is nothing on the roundabout and the direct route is smoother. On a big city roundabout I do stay in lane.