Bad Sheffield Drivers!

I've just returned to Canada from a 5 wk trip to the UK and Ireland. I was shocked at the hazardous way that motorists behaved, having little or no regard for pedestrian safety. I visited several large cities. I was brought up in Sheffield so it saddens me to have to say it, but the worst drivers I found to be in Sheffield. The crosswalks seem to be a signal to motorists to speed up, to get across them before the pedestrians. A race. The crosswalks at the Hunters Bar/ Ecclesall Rd/ Endcliffe Park intersection proved especially challenging. In the space of five minutes, two cars raced across them even though the flashing green man was giving the pedestrians, yours truly included, the go ahead. I got so fed up with this that when I saw it about to happen again, I moved out onto the crosswalk, held up my hand as a stop sign for the antsy driver who was about to ignore the red light that was staring him in the face, and pointed to the flashing green man. He gave me the finger - well, two of them since it was in the UK.

I don't remember Sheffield drivers being this rude and oblivious to public safety, but then I haven't been back for a number of years. Why aren't the police dishing out tickets? In Canada, traffic offenses that endanger the lives of pedestrians are severely dealt with. Thank goodness I decided not to rent a car on this trip.

Yes, I have many good memories of my trip to Sheffield. Alas, the motorists are not among them.

Edited by soft ayperth
shortening

I've just returned to Canada from a 5 wk trip to the UK and Ireland. I was shocked at the hazardous way that motorists behaved, having little or no regard for pedestrian safety. I visited several large cities. I was brought up in Sheffield so it saddens me to have to say it, but the worst drivers I found to be in Sheffield. The crosswalks seem to be a signal to motorists to speed up, to get across them before the pedestrians. A race. The crosswalks at the Hunters Bar/ Ecclesall Rd/ Endcliffe Park intersection proved especially challenging. In the space of five minutes, two cars raced across them even though the flashing green man was giving the pedestrians, yours truly included, the go ahead. I got so fed up with this that when I saw it about to happen again, I moved out onto the crosswalk, held up my hand as a stop sign for the antsy driver who was about to ignore the red light that was staring him in the face, and pointed to the flashing green man. He gave me the finger - well, two of them since it was in the UK.

I don't remember Sheffield drivers being this rude and oblivious to public safety, but then I haven't been back for a number of years. Why aren't the police dishing out tickets? In Canada, traffic offenses that endanger the lives of pedestrians are severely dealt with. Thank goodness I decided not to rent a car on this trip.

Yes, I have many good memories of my trip to Sheffield. Alas, the motorists are not among them.

A flashing green man means that the driver has a flashing amber and the right of way unless you are already on the crossing. You should not start to cross when the green man is flashing. You're lucky you didn't cause an accident.

Top tip if you find a numpty sticking to that magnet in your back bumper. Put your windscreen washer on. The water, at speed, will fly over the top of your car all over their windscreen. Might take a few goes for them to get the picture though.

If that fails, every now and then gently depress the brake pedal just enough for the sensors to light up the brake lights. Then hold your left hand up and waggle your finger in a disapproving way. Now that one really does work!

I find that braking, or even making the brake lights come on makes people more annoyed, and is also likely to cause an accident if they slam on expecting you to stop.

I just slow down if someone is too close. They get the message after a few minutes and drop back, at which point I resume my normal speed.

Try searching it for 'making reasonable progress' or a phrase like that.

No one suggested that you should always drive at the speed limit, particularly if it's not safe.

But if it is safe to do so then driving excessively slowly would be an offence. Excessive is never defined of course, it's up to a police officer to decide, I think 40 in a 60 zone for no good reason is excessively slow though.

Does anyone know if a driver has EVER been done for travelling at 40 in a 60 zone?

i cant stand some white van men ive lost count how many times ive been stood at pedestrian crossings and the white van man failed to notice me and flown straight through resulting in me having to step back to the pavement or lose my legs, them and women driving massive 4x4s with one little child sat on the back seat and they can bearly see over the steering wheel ( and im female) so please get a little corsa or something you are dangerous in those things

A flashing green man means that the driver has a flashing amber and the right of way unless you are already on the crossing. You should not start to cross when the green man is flashing. You're lucky you didn't cause an accident.

Indeed, an accident might have resulted.

But sorry, there is no such thing as "right of way."

IF a young, old, overseas pedestrian gets it wrong and starts crossing when he shouldn't as the OP seems to be describing we, as drivers, have to be prepared to slow down and/or stop anyway.

It takes two to have a crash. With so many visitors (including ex-pats) of different nationalities over here we should always spare a thought for those might get it wrong and ANY thought that it's somehow OK to hit a pedestrian because it wasn't his turn to be on the road is very poor driving attitude. And we haven't as yet gone down the road to fining pedestrians for jaywalking. (Imagine the SF squeals of "stealth tax on pedestrians" if we did!)

Edited by DT Ralge

Sunday drivers! We always come across them on the way to work on a Sunday night, and most of the time they are older people!

And the person who I was behind on Friday who seemed to think the correct way to indicate on a roundabout when you are going straight on is right, then left. Grr