Old Fairgrounds and Circuses

Norths used to come to HANDSWORTH first on club field then moved to the horses field at the side of parkway then they moved to handsworth recreation ground we used to help them put it up mainly the waltzer run by Robert who married a north

That was the late Robert Moran who used to be a boxer on the fairgrounds. His son Evan now runs the business although they sold the Waltzer a few years ago, it can now be found on the sea front at Bridlington. This ride was replaced by a Superbowl that still attends Kimberworth park fair each year and sometimes Rotherham Show.

---------- Post added 06-01-2017 at 17:44 ----------

I remember going to the Farm grounds with my Grandad in the early 60s. There was a Circus on the Wicker goods yards in the late 60s that let my friends and I visit the Animals I fetched my uncle a sack of elephant dung for his roses he said it was the best he'd had. I think the circus was the Bottom Brothers.

More likely to be the Robert Brothers circus.

Somebody please tell me if my memory is playing tricks with me.

Around the mid 50's I remember walking from the Midland station in Sheffield with a load of other folks and the elephants that had just arrived in procession to the site of the circus near what is now Devonshire Green.

Dreaming or not ?

Somebody please tell me if my memory is playing tricks with me.

Around the mid 50's I remember walking from the Midland station in Sheffield with a load of other folks and the elephants that had just arrived in procession to the site of the circus near what is now Devonshire Green.

Dreaming or not ?

Not dreaming, actually true -elephants included- as that site as a circus, (I think they came perhaps once a year.) was used, at least the last time I went there was early 1962.

I used to enjoy the one in millhouses park it was amazing 20 years ago

Not dreaming, actually true -elephants included- as that site as a circus, (I think they came perhaps once a year.) was used, at least the last time I went there was early 1962.

Hi stpetre and thanks. So I wasn't dreaming !!

I remember the Farm grounds but mostly lots of fairs and circuses on Attercliffe Common on grounds next to the Pheasant pub. For a couple of pence you could go and see the animals in their cages.

Farahas fair use to come on Collarage Road fields and on fields on Worthing Road Atterciffe near the wreck as we use to call it

I remember going to a fair on White Lane, Gleadless, in the mid 1950s. It was about where the library is now.

Also near there, on Fox lane there was one in the 70s-80s.

Also one at frechville pond and community centre.

I remember going to a fair on White Lane, Gleadless, in the mid 1950s. It was about where the library is now.

Yes fatrajah it was on Fidler's field, named after the farmer who owned it, before the Azena ballroom (now the Coop) and subsequent developments were built on the land. From memory there was a wooden hut used by the scouts at the southern end of the field.

echo.

anyone remember the funfairs we used to have in various parts of sheffield I myself [due to living on basegreen] remember the ones in oakes park [quite a big one] also bottom of fox lane,the one on field on white lane ,one near rex cinema and also near frecheville pond when it was carnival time.