Old Fairgrounds and Circuses

Farrar's still come to Hillsborough Park, usually March /April time and then again in August.

Hi rogG,

The Star and Telegraph used to arrange the Sheffield Gala at the Farm Grounds on Granville Road every August Bank Holiday weekend, which was at the beginning of August in those days. The Grounds were divided into two sections by a pond.The section nearest Granville Road was level with the road, but the section at the other side of the pond climbed up to higher ground. A stage was set up at the lower part of the section nearest Granville Road. From early afternoon until dusk, there were talent contests and other entertainment on the stage. People usually picnicked whilst they watched the show. At the same time, but continuing until about 10pm, on the high section of the Grounds was the very large funfair. The Gala catered for every one and it was many families only enjoyment they got during the works weeks. Holidays away were not the norm for many families.

The dusty feet mentioned by trans were got by walking up the vehicular access track around the pond to get to the fair.

Nice detail here, manaman. I think I've posted this on another thread but just after the war there was a demonstration of spitfires at the fair. Not sure whether that was a fly by or exhibit.

not sure if true but i was told there was a circus in the early 1900s on worthing road on the field

my mate worked at a fair as a human cannon ball, but he got fired, When he took em to a tribunal he was awarded £1000 on the grounds of FUNFAIR DISSMISEL

I remember when the cicus came to old field at side of Stovin Road It was "Robert Fossets circus" During the day we would walk round the site and look at the animals, there was a Polar bear in a cage and scared me to death. We also went to the circus and I remember (Apparently) the worlds strongest man, his name was "Ivan Carl" and he bent an iron bar around his neck.

Norths Fair used to be at side of 'wallet' in Ecclesfield and there used to also be one behind Coach and Horses at Chapeltown

I remember when the cicus came to old field at side of Stovin Road It was "Robert Fossets circus" During the day we would walk round the site and look at the animals, there was a Polar bear in a cage and scared me to death. We also went to the circus and I remember (Apparently) the worlds strongest man, his name was "Ivan Carl" and he bent an iron bar around his neck.

Ivan Carl - the Russian strongman who drove a Russian car and wore a cossack, but was really Barry Smith (or something like) that from Huddersfield who died a few years ago. Still don't know how he bent that bar up against his throat or around his neck!

Hello,

My earliest recollection of a fair must have been just before the war. It was at the old Smithfield Market site The area on Blonk Street between the Don and the Victoria Station Approach.

I do remember being frightened by all the Steam traction engines. Some were making electricity to drive the various rides and a few drove the rides themselves. Very few diesel generators in those days.

The earliest Circus I recall was Bertram Mills in 1948(?). The Circus wanted to set-up in Hillsborough Park, which would have been ideal; however, the "Comrades" at the Town Hall made them go to the Pheasant Inn Ground on Attercliffe Common. Even the good folks at Attercliffe thought it was silly place to put it, although I'm sure the local kids enjoyed having it there.

In those days, most things moved by rail and Circus' had their own special trains. Bertram Mills train was shunted into the Wicker Goods Yard. From the side entrance of the Goods Yard (opposite T.W.Ward's offices), they paraded all the way down to Attercliffe. I didnt get to see the parade but a lot of kids did and never stopped talking about it. It was a really big event at the time.

Regards

Edited by Falls

the buzz we would get when we saw the first tents being erected on the field as we knew that a week later there would be a big parade as all the animals from the circus would parade through the streets (health and safety and animal welfare didnt come into it)i lived in darnall and the annual parade to colleridge road was the highlight of the year as was the fair coming we would save all the empty pop bottles for months to get our spending money

Bertram Mills Circus, Chipperfields and Billy Smarts - when I was little we used to go to all of them in complimentary ringisde seats as my father was a vet, and was the official circus vet when they were in town - he was never called out to anything more interesting than a horse with a sore foot, though. However, he used to visit and go round the animal tents to check welfare, and I met a lion tamer called Alex Kerr, we visited his van and I was allowed to stroke a lion cub. Although I do agree that it is cruel to have a "wild beast show" as they were called, due to the stresses of travelling and confining them in small cages,the animals were all very well cared for and treated as well as they possibly could be given the circumstances. Apparently Alex Kerr at one time used to take a tiger for walks on a lead in the street!

My favourite act? Coco the clown - what a lovely man. Some years ago I visited the circus sideshow at (I think) Alton towers, and it was run by his daughter.

I have not read all the replies to this thread so my apologies if the two following sites have already been mentioned. Before the war a large strip of land, on the left, looking down, as you walked up the LNER Station Approach had stood empty for many years. During the war, steel output intensified and the land was used to store ingots (I seem to recall those working in the steel rolling mills referred to them as billets?) approx.six feet long and four to six inches square. Morale was almost as important as steel production so each Christmas the land was cleared to make way for a Christmas fair.

There was a similar parcel of land by the side of the railway, on the left-hand side of Staniforth Road. The railway passed under a bridge across Staniforth Road, where twice a year before the war the land’s only purpose seemed to have been to herald the arrival of John Farrar’s Fair. For a while my father was a steam traction engine driver, and albeit this was before my fifth birthday, to follow the entire fair (the big rides went to their pitches first, and vice versa on leaving) it was quite something to follow its trail along Attercliffe Common then, aided by a traffic-duty constable, swing the locomotive, plus three purpose-built, all-wood living trailers and occasionally one small caravan almost to the opposite pavement before making the single arc that would clear all obstacles to arrive on the correct side of Staniforth Road.

I seem to recall it was achieved to rapturous applause from an appreciative audience who followed the first traction engine to its final destination, and did so for nothing more than to witness the mind-bending event all over again, with but one slight difference. On that second occasion, to a much larger crowd the driver, usually a Scot by the first name of Peter, was required to swing again to the opposite side of the road, then turn sharply to the left to pass, with only inches to spare, through the space left by an open five-barred gate!

Bear in mind that those were the days with no television and no local radio. The Sheffield Star always carried a picture of the event, but it was a ‘still’ and was no match for the real thing.

I have not mentioned that my father drove a traction engine for John Farrar during the early to mid-1930s. Later in life when he lived in a caravan the only ornament to grace its few shelves was a scale model of a similar class of traction engine. The only other thing worth a mention is that I was named Peter in remembrance of that show-stopping Scot whose well-polished steam locomotive shone like a new pin.

I could tell many stories about Peter, but on another day or another thread, perhaps. I am almost sure (although I know it is impossible) that Peter and his employer’s traction engine deserved each other. On the one hand he kept her looking good and standing out in a crowd. On the other hand, when he needed extra power, like a diesel engine she gave it to him …*again … and again … and again.

hi peter. could i ask you what year you travelled with john and flo as my dad started with them from being 9yrs old from there he worked for old walt whiting on his ark,albert proctor, with big jack.lings.corrigans,etc my dad would have been 67 now he told me about sum1 calld starry pete just wondered if u?my email address fletchocs@gmail.com cheers fella

I remember going down to millhouses park to the fair that was there, not the little one that is there nearly all year round, I remember the umberella ride which swung right out over abbeydale road.

i remember it too at millhouses i worked on the waltzer for dowses we came thru the night from tideswell i remember about 1985 wen we had pulld down we all jumpd ova fence & got washed in the lido the next day they opened all grease & oil floatin on top so i think we neva got the ground renewed the umberella wer micheal whitings