Some good news at last - Obama is back in front

Where as McCain's public relationship with G. Gordon Liddy who in his part in the Watergate scandal was involved in political corruption, plotting murder, working with gangsters and actively involved in subverting US democracy and the Constitution. Some patriot. Obama's relationship with Ayers is dubious to say the least. McCain's relationship with Liddy is well documented.

In comparison I would say Obama has the better record on patriotic honest associates.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200810040004

Isn't it strange how Poppin knows that Obama was "very friendly" with ayers for years!

Were you there Poppins?:rolleyes:

I like it how they all boo when she states her choice of newspaper.

It is strange when from the Media Matters report the New York Times has been strongly supporting McCain with their smears on Obama.

What more could the republicans expect from the paper?

It is strange when from the Media Matters report the New York Times has been strongly supporting McCain with their smears on Obama.

What more could the republicans expect from the paper?

Obedience.

Palin is very much a local politician

all American politicians are 'local' politicians in that they are identified with a particular state. Only when they decide to run for President does their profile rise. Hardly anybody outside Massachussets or Connecticut had ever heard of John Kerry or Joe Lieberman before they ran for President. Ditto Clinton, hardly anybody outside Arkansas had ever heard of him either, even though he was state Governor, like Pailin is, of a state seen as a backwater. Bush Jnr was a bit different, partly because his dad had been President, but also because many more Americans can name the governor of states like Texas and New York as opposed to Idaho and Wyoming.

Palin is very much a local politician

all American politicians are 'local' politicians in that they are identified with a particular state. Only when they decide to run for President does their profile rise. Hardly anybody outside Massachussets or Connecticut had ever heard of John Kerry or Joe Lieberman before they ran for President. Ditto Clinton, hardly anybody outside Arkansas had ever heard of him either, even though he was state Governor, like Palin is, of a state seen as a backwater.

You seem to have missed my point, when I said "Palin is very much a local politician" I meant in terms of the way she thinks.

As seen in her debate, when asked by moderator Gwen Ifil questions about the economy, energy, or her views on climate change, and even when Biden brought up the subject of Darfor, Palin simply spouted out her experience in Alaska and Alaskan oil.

At one point Palin tied to argue that drilling oil in Alaska would somehow help National security!:loopy:.....she didn't exactly expand on what she meant by that!

Palin seems to think that America was only a slightly bigger version of Alaska!:hihi:

So in that respect she certainly is a local politician.

Some Palin dishonesty:

I'm posting this because none of the direct, indisputably proven, factual untruths that Palin has uttered has yet to be retracted by this candidate or her running mate. When you have a leading politician running on a record of outright lies, and those lies are deemed irrelevant, you have a problem. Each one has been fact-checked to near-death. They are not the usual political lie - hyperbole, parsing, exaggeration, spin. They are factual, checkable, indisputable untruths.

Palin could not have asked her girls for permission to accept McCain's veep offer if she also says she accepted the offer unblinkingly and right away. Palin did fire a police chief even as she insisted to a reporter she hadn't. She did violate the confidential medical records of Mike Wooten. She hasn't met with any trade missions from Russia. She does not have any gay friends that anyone can find. She did not oppose the Bridge to Nowhere. She did not sell that plane on eBay. Her Teleprompter did not fail in her convention speech. Alaska's state scientists did not conclude that polar bears were in no danger. She did deny publicly that humans had anything to do with climate change.

Alaska does not provide "nearly 20 percent of the U.S. domestic supply of energy," as she claimed. The gas pipeline she touts as her major "mission accomplished" has not broken ground and may never do so. She did not take a pay-cut as mayor of Wasilla. And on and on. Anyone with Google can check all of these out. Including reporters.

These are all documented, bald-faced factually irrefutable lies. More to the point: she refuses to cop to them or be held accountable for them or take questions about them. Until she does, we can rightly infer there is no reason to believe anything she says, and that includes her recent medical history. A liar like this cannot be taken on trust. We have to verify it all.

I note it concludes with the observation : "there is no reason to believe anything she says" :(

the link includes the references:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/09/the-lies-and-li.html

The next presidential debate gets under way tonight.

I wonder if we will get the same crusty old "Senator Obama doesn't seem to understand" McCain this time around.

The more I see of McCain, the more he reminds me of a guy who's battery seems to be running very low.

I can only say that in my years of voting in US elections that this is the poorest ticket of candidates I've ever seen.

Neither of the candidates have any substance worth mentioning and it's a real tragedy for a country currently going through one of the severest crisis since the great depression. The country needs strong decisive leadership more than ever at this time and neither of these two give any impression of being able to supply this needed quality

NcCain doesen't seem to have a clue as to how to handle the economy and his pick of Palin was a gamble that is now seen as not very smart

Obama is troubling given some of his background. His association with Bill Ayers is well documented in the Richard J. Daley library of the University of Illinois. Obama was on the board of Ayers Chicago Anneberg Challenge CAC)until as late as 2001. The CAC gave millions into the hands of community organizers and radical education activists. Obama dismisses his association with Ayers as "just an associate and another guy in the neighborhood" despite his knowledge that Ayers was the founder and leader of the Weathermen a radical terrorist group in the 1960s.

His statement that he will raise taxes on the rich (ie those making more than 350K per year) is troubling also. A person making 350K is not what I would call rich and raising taxes could well backfire as many businesses will not expand and provide additional employment at a time when many are already losing jobs

The country is near bankruptcy so for all McCain and Obama's rhetoric about "doing this and doing that" it wont happen since there'll be no money to implement any of their election promises.

Latest poll shows Obama leading by 7 percent and McCain losing in the critical states of Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida

Tonight's debate will be polite and civilized I predict. Both candidates use their VPs to play the blame game

The truth is that the current mess was the fault of both the Democrats and Republicans and goes back many years into the Clinton administration.

Sad to see these two trying to pull the wool over everybody's eyes but that's politics aint it?

I can only say that in my years of voting in US elections that this is the poorest ticket of candidates I've ever seen.

The country is near bankruptcy so for all McCain and Obama's rhetoric about "doing this and doing that" it wont happen since there'll be no money to implement any of their election promises.

You may be right harleyman, but I do think America has often saddled herself with some weak choices when it comes to the presidency.

Reagan, Kennedy and Mr Sh**nasty Clinton were effective communicators, but if you put many American presidents up against British leaders or senior politicians from a knowledge base point of view they will inevitably be found wanting.

To be honest, I actually feel sorry for whoever wins this election, the baton that Bush passes on will be the hot potato amongst poisoned challices.