Soldier traveling without credentials

Yes, Vanos, subtlety, common-sense, judgement and interpretation in our ' tick box ' wonderland is fast disappearing. It must be great for Control Freaks. They don't really have to think at all or make any sort of moral judgement. They've got their rules from above and they just have to mechanically dish the same rules out to those further down the line. It's exactly how the Nazis, to take an extreme case, found it so easy to control Germany after 1933, despite a pre-1933 sizeable opposition to Nazi-ism. Think of the advantages for the bureaucrat ! A guaranteed salary, no decision-making to bother with......plus a wonderful feeling of power over the enemy [ i.e. the tax-payer ].

Apportioning the blame is difficult, though. Is it the sheep-like acceptance of the system ? Did the system emerge from the sheep as a natural process ? Are there sinister manipulators who organised the system, knowing there were enough sheep to do the job ? Probably a bit of verything, I guess ?

Very nice. But what do you think about this soldiers yobbish public behaviour?

In the same way, say an 85 year old person gets on a bus and has forgotten their bus pass,then they MUST be made to pay the full fare, and no mistake. Similarly, if a person is rushing a friend into hospital and parks illegally, for even a few minutes, they MUST be prosecuted and made an example of. Otherwise, if we let such people off, it's the thin end of the wedge and could eventually lead to the downfall of Old Blighty.

You know what you people keep on missing with this simplified argument is that the guy was shouting and swearing at the ticket inspector. If *anyone* does that, 85 year old person or not, then they deserve to be removed from the train/bus whatever. The ticket inspector does not have to put up with that and neither do the rest of the passengers who have to listen to it. If this man loses control that easily it's worrying to think what he might do under real pressure when he's on active service.

You know what you people keep on missing with this simplified argument is that the guy was shouting and swearing at the ticket inspector. If *anyone* does that, 85 year old person or not, then they deserve to be removed from the train/bus whatever. The ticket inspector does not have to put up with that and neither do the rest of the passengers who have to listen to it. If this man loses control that easily it's worrying to think what he might do under real pressure when he's on active service.

Good point well made.

Up to half of the British Army's soldier recruits enter training with literacy or numeracy skills at levels at or below those expected of a primary school leaver and as such can hardly be expected to understand requirements for travel passes, public order and not disgracing his profession :rolleyes:

Up to half of the British Army's soldier recruits enter training with literacy or numeracy skills at levels at or below those expected of a primary school leaver and as such can hardly be expected to understand requirements for travel passes, public order and not disgracing his profession :rolleyes:

Very droll.

Strange to describe him as a hero when he was never engaged in battle.The 'hero' epithet is usually reserved for footballers scoring at least one goal.

he should have been given the benefit of the doubt. one of our lads who represents our country.

Abolutely hate that phrase(and so does a friend of mine who served)

I agree with that also, the train companies don't put enough carriages on, me n the family were on the way back from Skeggi and were changing in Nottingham, there were 3 carriages at 5pm in the evening.

how about getting a clue and blaming the DfT who have stitched up the TOCs with the current franchises

A real war hero would have thrown the ticket inspector off the train and and would have been given 100% backing from the public and his regiment not the technical and moral bitching which is comming from some of you lot.

Trying to find this story in The Star achives for the 13th, but don't seem to be having any luck. Anyone got a link?

A real war hero would have thrown the ticket inspector off the train and and would have been given 100% backing from the public and his regiment not the technical and moral bitching which is comming from some of you lot.

I guess that means that he's not a hero.

The guy should have been given the benefit of the doubt and the conductor should not have said what he said.

As for Norbert's response on this forum would you say that to the face of a soldier or would you remain behind your PC screen? I can guess which one.

These are the people who will defend you and this country if the worst ever happened with their lives if need be and I for one am proud of this country's armed forces for the skill and professionalism they constantly show on duty and doing this with politicians that constantly underfund them.

Would you have remained calm in his position? I know I wouldn't have.