Goths, Punks, Emo's, Rockers, Metalheads etc - This way please...

It has taken me most of the morning to read through all the posts and it has proved to be a real eye opener to atitudes against anything other than square!!

I now understand why my daughter feels comfortable on the peace gardens and certian places in sheffield (strenght in numbers) with her mates.

Yes she is goth/alternative and has been that way from the age of 14, she dresses down when she is going out alone for fear of attack and in a group situation she looks stunning. In her words she feels herself when she is dressed to her choice and has personality but dressed in a way as some see as "normal" she feels she cant be herself. A lot of her clothing i designed and made myself to get a perfect fit for her because she is small and have continued to do so for the last 4 years, but not so much now as she has grown a bit.

Yes she has had the abuse and everything that comes with it but she holds her head high with pride because she is not a drunk, thief, robber, mugger or drug taker as some would like to assume because of her way of dress. She is a respectable person that would do anything to help others, she would give away her last penny if it would make another person feel better. AND YES SHE WILL BE THERE ON THE 31ST WITH HER FRIENDS, might even go myself

I would like to ask this question What is normal as so many seem to talk about it?

Is it normal to pick on or attack anyone who is not the same as you?

As a child i was taught respect for all no matter what they looked like, the way they spoke, or the way they acted, or the colour of their skin, i guess this is something that the world is lacking. We need to ask ourselves what changed and start to put it right before our kids end up dead. You never know the worm could turn and it mught be all the chavs who end up extinct, then what would all the "normal" people say

As a child i was taught respect for all no matter what they looked like, the way they spoke, or the way they acted, or the colour of their skin, i guess this is something that the world is lacking. We need to ask ourselves what changed and start to put it right before our kids end up dead.

ABSOLUTELY!

With this march i hope to do something good! It may not be changing the world but its a start and i hope by planting the seed, it'll grow and spread.

Will all the deaths and attacks happening, youre right, it is time to put it right.

I hope on the march we can, metaphorically, wave the white flag and say

"ok we're here, we're a little strange in your eyes but we're good people who care. We are here taking the first step to peace. Lets celebrate our diversity and end the war that somehow came from our differences."

We dont understand why people feel the need to attack us so much but we're ready and willing to explain what we're all about and hopefully we'll show people that we're not the enemy. I hope other genre's and cultures come forward afterwards and make a stand for harmony in the world.

Thank you Madmutt, thank you so much! And a big hug goes out to your daughter, who i'm sure is a good person because she was raised with respect by people who loved her.

Give yourself a pat on the back too cos it sounds like you did a great job. Many parents hear and see things on the internet (or by other means) and are told to fear what their gothic/punk children are becoming. You,of course, chose to understand your daughter yourself and listened to her when she told you how she felt. She is now a very proud girl who obviously has a brilliant outlook on life. Awesome!

My mum will also be at the march. She is a christian lady who stands firm in her support for me and i shall be singing her praises on the day!

Cant wait to meet you on the 31st!! I'll be proud to stand beside you both.

x

I will deffinatly be there. Being an alternative person, i have hard rather a large amount of abuse thrown my way. I am glad that someone is out there trying to make a change. With enough people, Hopefully people will start to see that we are human. Count me in !!

You say that i's everyone else's problem yet you yourselves describe yourselves as 'alternative'. It's not being particularly individual to dress like a goth, there's as much emphasis on fashion as any other style, maybe if you (and everyone else, mind) accepted that and didn't think of yourselves as alternative and different it might help. you're not special 'cause you wear black.

Ohhhhhhhh I am defo going to come :) I think it is sad when someone discriminates someone else just because of the way they dress everyone is different & unique in their own way.

I have seen some fine goth & rocker men ;)

It has taken me most of the morning to read through all the posts and it has proved to be a real eye opener to atitudes against anything other than square!!

"Don't call us names 'cause we only wear black you square."

You say that i's everyone else's problem yet you yourselves describe yourselves as 'alternative'. It's not being particularly individual to dress like a goth, there's as much emphasis on fashion as any other style, maybe if you (and everyone else, mind) accepted that and didn't think of yourselves as alternative and different it might help. you're not special 'cause you wear black.

To be fair if you read one of the earlier posts the OP says that 'alternative' is the label society has given the sub-culture and not itself.