Lib-Dems guarantee no congestion charge in Sheffield

Lib-Dems reject congestion charging in Sheffield. What do you think ?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Lib-Dems reject congestion charging in Sheffield. What do you think ?

• Hurrah !
    • Boo !

They wont be a congestion charge because as the roads are constantly gridlocked the traffic wardens will be able to issue parking tickets while they are in a queue

I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why anyone would actually need to drive a private car into the city centre, so why are the LibDems encouraging people to do so and clog up the city's streets?

I have to agree with you, despite being a keen car driver. I haven't taken my car into the centre of Sheffield (i.e. inside the ring road) for about two years now. It's the bus or tram for me every time - much less stressful and, in most cases, quicker if you add on the time taken to find somewhere to park your car.

My wife and I drove to York recently, and we used the park and ride just off the bypass at the A19 junction. Free to us over-60s, but a viable option even if we had to pay the full fare, since it costs at least £6 to park for any length of time in the city centre.

I'm by no means anti-car, but my feeling is that if people want to drive themselves (excuse the pun) to distraction battling with traffic congestion in any city centre, be it Sheffield or anywhere else, then I'm happy to let them.

I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why anyone would actually need to drive a private car into the city centre
You communist or something? buses don't cost 50p to get into town anymore! For the same reasons anyone drive a car in general. I wouldn't even think of going shopping in town if I couldn't drive there. I'm not getting on the bus on Saturday morning to go to the markets, it'd take me an age. I cannot even consider using trains and buses to go to work so since I have the car anyway I'm not going to use a bus just for shopping. Mmmmmmh five bags of shopping in each hand on the bus: I once remember getting a desk from Office World on Furnival Sq back to Totley Village; not happening EVER again.

The car beats the bus or the tram anytime! 7 or so quid return for me and the missus, take free parking in town and less than that spent on petrol and the fact it doesn't take 5 minutes to get to Castlegate out of rush hour and the bus is just a dream.

They wont be a congestion charge because as the roads are constantly gridlocked the traffic wardens will be able to issue parking tickets while they are in a queue
hahahaha. You cna picture that can't you? "sorry you've been parked for ten minutes on yellow lines" "but I'm stuck at the traffic lights!".
The Council can always fall back on the 'we had no choice- central government made us do it' way of back tracking on promises.
Planner1, one of our traffic lights resellers, has used this as an excuse for our street force and transport services' incompetence on many an occasion. "oh we only have money for traffic lights and speed bumps, not to provide you with roads to drive on."

What gridlock?

Last time the traffic wasn't moving was last year due to the floods. Usually takes me ten minutes top to get in and out of town from home.

Nothing more than Gesture Politics.

His 'apology' has a pathetic hollowness to it and is frankly, too little, too late.

Do you think he could have made this statement and apology sooner, when labour were in power perhaps.

Sounds like sour grapes again to me.

I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why anyone would actually need to drive a private car into the city centre, so why are the LibDems encouraging people to do so and clog up the city's streets?

So that you can park your car and pay parking fees. They don't need to introduce congestion fees...your already being hammered by stealth tax/fees anyway.

Believe a politician and you'll believe anything.

I wouldn't even think of going shopping in town if I couldn't drive there. I'm not getting on the bus on Saturday morning to go to the markets, it'd take me an age.

I do, every time. Like I said in my earlier post, I'm a driver and car enthusiast, but when I want to go down to the market (which I do fairly regularly), I hop on the bus - 20/25 minutes to Leopold Street, a six or seven minute walk down Fargate and High Street, do a bit of food shopping at the market, and another 25 minutes back home. Totally relaxing and stress free, compared with taking the car in.

As I suggested earlier, I don't think people should be banned from fighting their way into the city centre by car and getting their nerves frayed if that's what they want to do. It just ain't for me.

Never believe anything until it's officially denied?

Well perhaps... In Council tonight Cllr Scriven said he supported congestion charging (Nick Clegg has strongly supported the idea and there were a few related barbs flying around) - there was also something about him being misquoted. Sure there will be more on this - it might be that they support congestion charging but not in Sheffield (!) but then it might be an official denial is coming this way soon.

No charge but you cant move more than 5 ft per min.

Just price out the poor (it's going to happen), don't subsidise local transport, bound to be a winner.. for some.

To get from one side to the other.

I loved the congestion charge in London when I lived within walking distance of it. Cut my commute by half an hour and made my neighbourhood cleaner and more accessible to locals once all the choking city-bound traffic went away.

But in Sheffield, NO, NO, NO...........Sheffield City Council will have to develop a lot stronger, wider ranging and more reliable public transport system before they even consider a congestion charge. I use public transport in Sheffield and it is truely woeful.

Probably not a very convincing argument but I live in the City Centre and I work in Leeds. I get substantially more for doing the same job in Leeds than I did in Sheffield as businesses of this type prefer to locate there. I can't speculate as to why they choose to do this. True, I can and do often use public transport. But with 4 kids I do occasionally need to use the car because public transport is not effective. For most of the week therefore I do not need to use it. However I do not have access to free parking so to leave it in Sheffield would cost in the region of £6 a day. Consequently I drive it to Meadowhall station or Leeds to and from the City Centre every day as that is cheaper. My preference would be to leave it parked and save the planet. It would be nice to move home but in these credit crunch days that would cost me even more (assuming I could sell!). Sadly it is not me that makes the rules with their unintended consequences.