Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

The council wouldnt just ignore local residents and push through their schemes anyway would they ?

Of course they would............. thats what they do.

The scheme was put in after many years of requests from local people.

The people asked, the Council listened and gave them what they wanted.

Quote:

Get it right planner 1. Only the minority wanted this scheme in.I live local and work local and NEVER met one person in favour of this scheme and let's face it if you don't want parking hassle why????? Would you live there cos all your doing is contributing to to the down spiral of hillsborough unless you like estate agents etc.not many of my neighbours n friends shop in hillsborough now so it tells its own story planner 1 But of course as usual you will be right and everyone else wrong Listen to majority for once not the minority

When Hillsborough Residents' Association was alive and kicking, there were lots of requests from residents for parking restrictions. I've mentioned before that I'd been to meetings where councillors and officers came, by request, to discuss the issue with residents, especially from areas like Hawkesley Ave and Taplin Rd. However, many didn't understand that having a permit scheme wouldn't guarantee them a parking space outside their house. When the consultation document came round, it was really up to the people who live here.

I imagine all my neighbours voted against it, and it hasn't been introduced in the streets around here (off Dixon Rd). The big problem in Hillsborough (as has been said before) is mainly at weekends and evenings/nights. If everyone in a terrace house had only one car, then there might be a reasonable chance of parking somewhere in their own street.

However multiple vehicle ownership makes it increasingly difficult to park anywhere near home for some. If they have young children, heavy shopping, or work shifts it can be a real pain. In the really overparked areas, 24 hour permits, one per house, could be a solution?

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Guest sibon

Get it right planner 1. Only the minority wanted this scheme in.I live local and work local and NEVER met one person in favour of this scheme and let's face it if you don't want parking hassle why????? Would you live there cos all your doing is contributing to to the down spiral of hillsborough unless you like estate agents etc.not many of my neighbours n friends shop in hillsborough now so it tells its own story planner 1 But of course as usual you will be right and everyone else wrong Listen to majority for once not the minority

I don't live in Hillsborough, but I visit fairly often. I also live in a permit zone.

I'm in favour of parking permits in general. They have certainly improved my quality of life. Before the permits, the road that I live on was a free for all from about 7am onwards as hospital staff, school staff and University staff all fought each other to park. The result was that if you went out in a car during the day, you could forget about parking near home when you came back.

That has changed. The permits stop the all day parkers, but allow visitors to park for a few hours at a time. I can usually park near to my house whenever I want to. Quality of life 1 - 0 People looking for free parking.

Like it or not, space is limited in modern cities. That makes it a valuable commodity. That means that you have to pay for it. If you don't like that reality, there are many non-permit areas of the city to live in.

Edited by sibon

I know people who wanted the scheme-and someone I know says she's glad its there because she stands a CHANCE of parking on her road (its one of the free ones too)-she never objected to short term shoppers it was the people who park up all day that caused the problem.

There are still areas being used as free 'park and ride' too.

I know people who wanted the scheme-and someone I know says she's glad its there because she stands a CHANCE of parking on her road (its one of the free ones too)-she never objected to short term shoppers it was the people who park up all day that caused the problem.

There are still areas being used as free 'park and ride' too.

And of course if the actual park and ride was free, like it is in many other places, that wouldn't happen either.

Guest sibon
And of course if the actual park and ride was free, like it is in many other places, that wouldn't happen either.

Excellent point.

I was going to add to my post up there ^^^ that the council need to look at options that make sure that people don't need to park for 10 hours on suburban streets in order to make a living.

A key component in that is the provision of a coherent, fit for purpose, public transport system. We don't have one of those any more.

I think some people are determined to street park-have seen people driving round looking for road spaces (before residents parking) whilst the NCP car park-free for the first 2 hours was half empty

Excellent point.

I was going to add to my post up there ^^^ that the council need to look at options that make sure that people don't need to park for 10 hours on suburban streets in order to make a living.

A key component in that is the provision of a coherent, fit for purpose, public transport system. We don't have one of those any more.

I agree parking all day is wrong so I wouldn't have a problem with a 2hr time limit to allow people to use the banks local shops etc,but to pay to use these facilities is WRONG like I've said before why live there then start moaning.I go to football matches but wouldn't buy or rent a house near bye due to the parking problems.

Well, there's the scaremongering, let's examine the facts:

• The first resident permit started off at £35 and was that price for several years before it went up to £36
  • The last time the Lib Dems were in power they dropped the price to a tenner.
  • When Labour got back in, they went up to £20
  • Now they are going back up to £36, which is the same as they were a couple of years ago

The evidence shows you that apart from a short period when the Lib Dems dropped the price, permits have always been £35/36 since 2003. Does this point to a Council that wants to "screw you for every penny"? The permit costs less than a tank of gas, hardly a fortune.

If you could step outside your brainwashed little world,you should realise that this thread is about Hillsborough permits which were £10 and are about to be increased,by £26.That sounds like an increase to me.

If you are trying to tell me that the big car park on parkside rd was always full on a daily basis i dont believe you. i pass there most days ,have done for years ,and ive never once seen it full apart from machdays when SWFC use it as an overspill car park.

The car park on Parkside road is nothing whatsoever to do with the permit parking scheme.

The Parks and Countryside department decide to introduce charging in park car parks totally independently form the Transport and Highways dept who promoted the permit scheme.

They are totally separate scheme and the income from the parks pay and display goes directly to the parks.

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 11:24 ----------

If you could step outside your brainwashed little world,you should realise that this thread is about Hillsborough permits which were £10 and are about to be increased,by £26.That sounds like an increase to me.

Hillsborough was brought in when permits started at £10, but, before that, in all permit areas in the city they were £36. so, they are only going back up to the level they were before.

No one likes a price rise, but £36 is hardly a fortune, is it. It's less than a tank of fuel.

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 11:26 ----------

I agree parking all day is wrong so I wouldn't have a problem with a 2hr time limit to allow people to use the banks local shops etc,but to pay to use these facilities is WRONG like I've said before why live there then start moaning.I go to football matches but wouldn't buy or rent a house near bye due to the parking problems.

To make any time limited parking effective, you have to have enforcement, which costs money. Introducing a permit scheme guarantees higher levels of enforcement and promotes the turnover of spaces in the pay and display zones.

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 11:31 ----------

Excellent point.

You're forgetting that public transport is the responsibility of South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive, not the Council.

In the deregulated situation we are in now, for public transport to get better, there has to be a demand for it or the operating companies will not provide the service. The degree of co-ordination now being offered after the Sheffield Bus Agreement came into force is the best you can get in a deregulated environment. To get anything better, you would need franchising, which carries significant financial risks.

---------- Post added 12-01-2013 at 11:35 ----------

The council wouldnt just ignore local residents and push through their schemes anyway would they ?

Of course they would............. thats what they do.

I think you can see form the posts on here that there really was strong demand for the permit scheme and that it was only introduced in the streets where people said they wanted it.

But of course the Council being seen to be responsive to local needs and only introducing something where it's wanted doesn't suit your council knocking arguments does it, so you will just ignore the facts as usual.

Of course it had nothing to do with the council seeing the motorist as a cash cow as normal . ? :roll:

I think you can see form the posts on here that there really was strong demand for the permit scheme and that it was only introduced in the streets where people said they wanted it.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh?

The majority of posts on the forum related to these parking schemes are against them - what world are you living in?

Oh, I forgot, the world of the council... an alternative universe!!

I find it ironic that there are plans afoot to extend these schemes, which 'are only to help the residents' and 'are not to generate income to offset the uncollected taxes we are owed', until 8.30 at night...

Useful for residents - NOT!