Parking Permits in Hillsborough.

It's ludicrous. This is why I asked whether the council can be forced to present the data, because, surely there is something morally - and potentially legally - wrong in claiming a majority in favour when it's clear that anything but a majority of residents on the road have responded in favour of the scheme?

Did you look at the report I provided a link to? I was told the figures were in there.

There is nothing legally wrong with what they are doing. Consultation is just to give decision makers a flavour of local opinion. It's up to the decision makers (who are your elected representatives )what they do with that information. Legally, they can impose a scheme irrespective of how many want it or don't.

But surely a lot of the cars that are parked there at night go away in the day when their owners go to work, so that should even it out a bit. The other thing you've got to think about is, are you out all day or do you regularly come home and try to park at odd hours in the middle of the day? How much does it really inconvenience you - enough to pay £35 a year (and it will only go up in future) and will it inconvenience you more if you do have a parking scheme? If you have lots of visitors for example it's going to cost you.

---------- Post added 23-08-2013 at 12:05 ----------

No scheme has ever been put in against overwhelming rejection. Areas which say they don't want a scheme, don't get one. That happened at Hillsborough. That should give you confidence that the Councillors do pay close attention to public opinion.

So are you saying that some have been put in against marginal rejection then?

So are you saying that some have been put in against marginal rejection then?

Not to my knowledge. The degree of acceptance often varies across an area, but roads where most residents don't want the restrictions are left out of schemes, there's ample proof of this in Sharrow Vale and Hillsborough.

Not to my knowledge. The degree of acceptance often varies across an area, but roads where most residents don't want the restrictions are left out of schemes, there's ample proof of this in Sharrow Vale and Hillsborough.

I don't know of any restrictions near me, except the ones that were already there on Middlewood Rd. The area from Wynyard Rd, along Dixon Rd to Wadsley Lane seem to have escaped any restrictions. Probably down to the fact that an overwhelming majority decided they weren't needed here.

---------- Post added 23-08-2013 at 14:28 ----------

You obviously don't understand what I'm getting at,Why should 1 person make a decision that brings charges in for another person who DOES NOT want it it's like me saying you should pay twice as much council tax than your next door neighbour I'm sure you would agree to that wouldn't you?????

I obviously do, the decision isn't made by one person, everyone in each area is asked for their views. The council could have just ignored the requests from individuals for a parking scheme, (and there were requests, I witnessed them). Instead they decided to gather the views of all residents. In most areas in Hillsborough it appears the majority view won the day.

With regard to council tax, I believe its unfair as our household pays 1/3 more council tax than our neighbour. Government rules state that a single person living in a property gets a 25% discount. I'm part of a couple, and although our pension income is probably about half of our working next door neighbour's, she benefits from that rule, and we don't.

Not everything can be fair for everyone, sometimes we lose out and others win. But we can't just have the things that we want, life is always a compromise.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Yes but as we all keep saying over and over once a permit zone is in place it moves it further out causing problems to residents who did not have problems before .Our road is an example .We rejected it but now people are parking on our road as they cannot park where they did before

.Planner 1 can you also tell me why on some roads people have to pay to park for an hour and on others they don't ? Surly this does not help local business . ! I popped to Sharrow last week to try the New bakery ,it cost me an extra 50p to park for a 10 minute shop .Goodness help you if you don't have the correct amount either as these machines give no change . 30 mins free parking would be so much fairer ,they manage it in other cities so why not here ?

Yes but as we all keep saying over and over once a permit zone is in place it moves it further out causing problems to residents who did not have problems before .Our road is an example .We rejected it but now people are parking on our road as they cannot park where they did before

.Planner 1 can you also tell me why on some roads people have to pay to park for an hour and on others they don't ? Surly this does not help local business . ! I popped to Sharrow last week to try the New bakery ,it cost me an extra 50p to park for a 10 minute shop .Goodness help you if you don't have the correct amount either as these machines give no change . 30 mins free parking would be so much fairer ,they manage it in other cities so why not here ?

They do 15 mins free parking in Sharrow, so you could have used that?

I think that some streets were left unstricted in order to give a choice of parking and perhaps help local businesses. Personally I don't think the unrestricted bays work too well. In the ones I see regularly, they are clearly used by residents who don't want to buy a permit, I see the same cars in the same bays daily and some seldom move.

Did you look at the report I provided a link to? I was told the figures were in there.

There is nothing legally wrong with what they are doing. Consultation is just to give decision makers a flavour of local opinion. It's up to the decision makers (who are your elected representatives )what they do with that information. Legally, they can impose a scheme irrespective of how many want it or don't.

That link was from the original consultation before they implemented the original permit parking scheme - some 2 years or more back? There was nothing for the recent consultation from earlier this year - the one which apparently has caused for the proposals to look to progress.

isnt that democracy?

are you saying that those who want permits pay and those who dont want permits dont pay but still get the benefit of parking for free??

If you want a permit scheme in you pay for it if I lived on your road and didn't want a pay scheme in why should I or anyone else have to pay???? Not exactly fair is it? by the way it's not free parking,cars cost a lot of money to keep on the road so why should people like you make even more expensive for others.Why don't you get onto the council and give them grief for bringing parking charges into the park also the tram that was always a problem in the making as I had a go at the council years ago forecasting what would happen before it got built when I lived just off middlewood rd.

---------- Post added 23-08-2013 at 18:27 ----------

@Kevo Regarding your ill-conceived point 'why do people move there if they know' - things change, things develop all the time. The parking has got worse here in recent years (in particular due to our bright council introducing paid parking in the park, as I pointed out earlier, never mind making part of Hillsborough paid parking therefore forcing others to the periphery for parking).

See my point above have a go at he councillors not other people for bringing parking charges into the park etc and our wonderful tram system not people who are just out enjoying our local park

No there isn't.

Our street got together to provide one response which was that we wanted at least to be balloted. This request was provided in a written response to the council and was asked for at a local council forum meeting - both requests were ignored and did not even appear on the council records.

The council appear to have committed fraud, or (allegedly) acted fraudulently , but there is no proof of it - as there are no records of the meetings that these requests were made at...

Now before an over zealous moderator appears and removes this post - there is no accusation of fraud here, only an observation that in my opinion the council appear or are alleged to have commited fraud...

No there isn't.

Our street got together to provide one response which was that we wanted at least to be balloted. This request was provided in a written response to the council and was asked for at a local council forum meeting - both requests were ignored and did not even appear on the council records.

The council appear to have committed fraud, or (allegedly) acted fraudulently , but there is no proof of it - as there are no records of the meetings that these requests were made at...

Now before an over zealous moderator appears and removes this post - there is no accusation of fraud here, only an observation that in my opinion the council appear or are alleged to have commited fraud...

If you felt there had been malpractice, why did you not complain to the Local Government Ombudsman?

I live in that area and got one of those letters. I'm generally in favour of double yellows on the corners. Mainly because parking on/near the junctions creates visibility problems for other drivers.

I believe the car park in question has had money spent on it by the football club, hence they have an agreement to use it on match days. The parking charges at other times have nothing to do with SWFC, all Sheffield parks now seem to have meters.

Parking near a junction does indeed create visibilty problems for other drivers and, for some junctions, makes it impossible to turn into the road whilst staying on the left hand side. However double yellw lines won`t stop it, we`ve got double yellows on the entrance to our road, but loads of people park on them and to my knowledge nobody has ever had a parking ticket ! They can`t have done otherwise they wouldn`t repeatedly park there !