Discussion or Lynch mob - why can't we have a proper debate on Sheffield forum?

It seems whenever you post anything on Sheffield forum the Lynch mob comes out. It doesn't matter whether you post a normal question or something bazaar. Whether it is about Mediums, Parsons Cross, London or the state of the economy instead of being able to thrash out your ideas it turns into a lynch mob, almost a hate campaign.

No wonder people don't like going out at night its not the yobs they've got to worry about its the Sheffield forum debaters looking to string them up.

I have always liked a good debate but try it on here and it gets ridiculous and turns into a personal attack on anyone that doesn't conform or fit in with certain ideals.

I am a Medium, originally from London, working as a Medium, Healer, Teacher of Psychic stuff and Writer now living in Sheffield on Parsons Cross and I am also a witch. So according to recent discussions I guess that makes me a Cockney fraud, fakester, false hoper, dole scrounging, cheating, weirdo, no good scum of the earth, living in a scruffy dirty pigsty. What hope have I got of having a decent discussion on here?

Don't get me wrong there are some lovely people on here, but please the rest of you remember everybody is entitled to live their lives as they choose just because their chosen career isn't the same as yours it doesn't make them a fake, fraud or cheat (although I agree there are many out there in all kinds of trades, I mean look at the people who have cheated pensioners out of money for repairs that don't need doing). Just because someone comes from, or lives in, a certain area it doesn't mean they should be tarred with the same brush as the 'bad people' you have met from that area. Please lets have a bit more toleration for people with different ideas or beliefs as I presume you would expect them to be tolerant of yours.

Oh and by the way the handle is Sacred Earth not Scared Earth.

Thanks

I totally agree.

I've seen some real 'mob mentality' stuff on here in recent weeks, and a number of one time stalwarts of SF, myself included, have just got tired of the whole nonsense and have just stopped posting on threads about religion and spiritual matters in general because of the unpleasant 'debating' techniques adopted by some users.

I've mentioned somewhere else that I no longer recommend SF to friends and colleagues; I've now started using a range of other forum sites to try and find a new 'debating home' online because to be blunt I'm fed up of seeing people getting the crap kicked out of them (figuratively speaking) on here when they dare to post against the views held by intolerant bigots.

Debate only works when you accept other peoples views with out criticism!

Rational debates can, and do, happen on this forum. I've taken part in a great many.

Where they fall to bits is when someone starts a thread with something completely irrational and worthless - like claiming to be able to contact the dead, something which has been proven false so many times it's not even worth arguing about any more - and then gets upset when people point out that it's completely worthless.

Not every subject merits a debate. Some - quite a lot, sometimes - can simply be dismissed out of hand.

I am open to constructive criticism but I don't expect to be hung drawn and quartered. And who has proved you can't contact the dead - without an element od doubt? Because I certainly can't prove you can I can only give people what I know to be right about someone who has passed. Anyway this thread isn't about that. It is about peoples bloody mindedness and intolerance of almost everything including where you live.

Rational debates can, and do, happen on this forum. I've taken part in a great many. Where they fall to bits is when someone starts a thread with something completely irrational and worthless - like claiming to be able to contact the dead, something which has been proven false so many times it's not even worth arguing about any more - and then gets upset when people point out that it's completely worthless.

Not every subject merits a debate. Some - quite a lot, sometimes - can simply be dismissed out of hand.

But, this is only IN YOUR OPINION, others may have a totally different opinion. There's ways of pointing things out, and ways of pointing things out. It often seems that your way just gets people's backs up unnecessarily.

To respond to JoeP's point, it seems to me that there's always been a bit of mob rule on here anyway. I've been a member since 2004 and even when I first joined anyone venturing a comment that could be perceived as the slightest little bit 'right wing' or not 'bleeding heart' was jumped on by the 'established clientele'. The balance seems to be tipping slightly the other way now though ... neither of which is helpful for discussion and debate, especially of sensitive subjects.

P.S> The thread I started was aimed at the mediums, psychics, tarot card readers, healers, etc on this forum as I know there are quite a few. I am trying to help the situation and I don't expect to be pulled to bits or have to defend myself for it.

there also seems to be a distinct lack of "sense of humour" where some members are concerned , I have posted many times with tongue firmly in cheek only to come under attack for being this or that . Some folk just need to lighten up.

there also seems to be a distinct lack of "sense of humour" where some members are concerned , I have posted many times with tongue firmly in cheek only to come under attack for being this or that . Some folk just need to lighten up.

I see what you mean there. I've got a highly developed sense of humour and I'm witty in real life, especially about other people's fave hobby horses. But when it's a subject close to my heart, I find it totally deserts me and I can get very hot under the collar, sarcastic and snippy. :D

If you're aiming for tongue in cheek in print, you have to telegraph it loud and clear, either by actually saying it [tongueincheekmode] - [/tongueincheekmode] or use a smiley ... no-one can hear your tone, or read your body language or expression. Sometimes best to leave the tongue in cheek out altogether, unless you actually want to be savaged. :suspect:

sacredearth, I don't want to sound too disparaging but are you just having a moan for having your views challenged?

To be fair to both yourself and those who have criticised you would probably have been better served by posting a 'help a medium' type thread in a forum aimed at mediums rather than one that tries to be all things to all people. SF isn't really somewhere that you can expect to have the place to yourself to express views on matters such as mediums / witch's / etc, without a critique.

Rational debates can, and do, happen on this forum. I've taken part in a great many.

Where they fall to bits is when someone starts a thread with something completely irrational and worthless - like claiming to be able to contact the dead, something which has been proven false so many times it's not even worth arguing about any more - and then gets upset when people point out that it's completely worthless.

Some practitioners may have been proven false, but outright, how would you disprove the whole concept? How would you prove that God exists, or not. How do you prove which party would make the best government. How, with so many variables, do you prove which is the best place to live, etc etc. Anything that can't be proven, is up for debate. Once an issue can be proven there is no longer a debate.