Discussion or Lynch mob - why can't we have a proper debate on Sheffield forum?

Yes, that's very similar to what the church's attitude to science used to be. (Oh, and there's only about 250 years' worth of scientific evidence for anything.)

Here's a point which fascinates me - true science is based on hypotheses which have not yet been disproved. If the hypothesis is 'God exists', this has not yet been disproved. True science does not postulate negative hypotheses (ie 'God does not exist') so an alternative hypothesis could be 'Science can explain everything' which it is incredibly easy to disprove.

If someone wants to believe in fairies I'm quite happy for them, as long as they don't expect me to waste my time running round the bottom of the garden with them.

I do think there's a difference between putting forward valid arguments against something you don't agree with and attacking someone's beliefs and even though I don't believe in a single nubbin of god or spiritualism I'd only get into a debate on the point with someone who wanted that debate.

I agree completely - it's things that can't be proved or disproved conclusively that make for the best debates, for that very reason. You'll always get people posting non-constructive comments on any discussion, but I just find the best thing to do is ignore them. If you have strong beliefs on a contentious issue such as spiritualism, you need to accept that people will have opposing beliefs that are just as strong. A criticism of a belief is not the same as a criticism of the person.

No. It isn't. There's ten thousand years of scientific evidence to bring to bear on many arguments, and anyone starting a thread in contradiction of all that evidence IS wrong, no matter what anybody's opinion might be.

Someone could post a thread asserting that the moon is made of Wensleydale cheese and, whilst you and all of the scientists on earth may disagree with them, they still have a right to hold and express their own opinion as long as their opinion is not hurting or offending others.

Just because you disagree with them does not give you (the hypothetical you, that is) the right to call them an idiot, request the thread to be removed, or do anything other than present a polite rebuttal to their opinion in an appropriate place.

The world is full of people who have different opinions and yours (again the hypothetical you) is not ever wholly correct.

Just remember that Darwin was condemned by many as a heretic and lots of scientists and other figures throughout history have been excommunicated from the church and society for their 'beliefs' which we now consider to be fact rather than outlandish opinion or 'the work of the devil'.

Sacredearth, as you 'believe' in the 'supernatural', and as you profit from your 'beliefs', it is reasonable for me to assume that you are either out-of-touch with reality, and therefore not fully responsible for what you do, or that you make your living by exploiting vulnerable fools!

Someone could post a thread asserting that the moon is made of Wensleydale cheese and, whilst you and all of the scientists on earth may disagree with them, they still have a right to hold and express their own opinion as long as their opinion is not hurting or offending others.

Just because you disagree with them does not give you (the hypothetical you, that is) the right to call them an idiot

Beg to differ. If someone holds an opinion which is palpably stupid, then we can, should, and WILL tell them it is palpably stupid.

...Just remember that Darwin was condemned by many as a heretic and lots of scientists and other figures throughout history have been excommunicated from the church and society for their 'beliefs' which we now consider to be fact rather than outlandish opinion or 'the work of the devil'.
That was purely because Darwin's critcs held religious (aka supernatural) beliefs, and were therefore, unable to judge his work rationally.

Beg to differ. If someone holds an opinion which is palpably stupid, then we can, should, and WILL tell them it is palpably stupid.
Absolutely! :thumbsup: Although if they are nuts, one should show a degree of compassion. :D I do not believe that Mediums are nuts; I believe they deliberately exploit the vulnerable, and so deserve to be ridiculed!

Then you will need to understand that others may find your opinion offensive, overtly argumentative or insulting and that your posts may be removed and your account may be suspended.

You can politely state your opinion without being judgmental and insulting by using such words as 'stupid'. I suggest you do that in future.

That was purely because Darwin's critcs held religious (aka supernatural) beliefs, and were therefore, unable to judge his work rationally.

Um... There were plenty of scientists of the day who refused to believe his theories as well, because the evidence as they understood it did not agree.

http://www.veritas-ucsb.org/library/origins/quotes/critics.html