Discussion or Lynch mob - why can't we have a proper debate on Sheffield forum?

I don't believe in God and I am not a spiritualist, so I bet that will get a few people confused. I am smack bang in the middle. I get stick from people who don't believe and stick from people who do.

Edit - Yes, ok... that is a little confusing...

I totally agree.

I've seen some real 'mob mentality' stuff on here in recent weeks, and a number of one time stalwarts of SF, myself included, have just got tired of the whole nonsense and have just stopped posting on threads about religion and spiritual matters in general because of the unpleasant 'debating' techniques adopted by some users.

I've mentioned somewhere else that I no longer recommend SF to friends and colleagues; I've now started using a range of other forum sites to try and find a new 'debating home' online because to be blunt I'm fed up of seeing people getting the crap kicked out of them (figuratively speaking) on here when they dare to post against the views held by intolerant bigots.

I think it has got quite a bit better recently. Although even I am beginning to feel a little sorry for labour, who seem to be taking the biggest kicking.

If you don't know, how can you be certain you're a medium? How can you be certain the voices aren't internal, rather than other beings as being a medium would suggest?

Fair comment I don't necessarily hear things and I apologise if I gave anyone that impression I just know things that do appear to be right and are confirmed as right by the people they are given to and or their families. I can't say whether I believe in the afterlife because I have never been there. To answer someone elses post they said I believe in the supernatural; again I can only say I think there is something but I don't know exactly what. This is why I spend time doing paranormal investigations, questioning everything, experimenting with the affects of different kinds of energy. I check all information that I get, receive, know, hear whatever you like to call it. I have been known to spend hours in the library trying to verify things I have picked up on. I myself want the proof, I want to know what it is and where it comes from and I have spent years searching for this proof. If any of you think I'm a fraud or exploiting people then that is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I have spent years trying to help many of them at my own expense. We all need money to live on. I have always worked at what you may call a proper job until physical ill health stopped me from doing this. Now I offer my time and my skills, I teach therapies, healing, etc. which like other people who offer their particular skills I need to be paid for to live. If I didn't work and pay my insurance stamps and taxes what other alternative is there? I do not cheat anyone they are all asked if they are happy with the service I have provided and if they are not they don't pay, that applies to my readings as well.

I think what you're saying is that nobody should be allowed to disagree with you, although you can refute what they say.

I'm particularly impressed with this piece of unprejudiced open-mindedness from your web-site.

We are a Sheffield based group of paranormal investigators who are dedicated to researching historical buildings and anomalies to find out if ghosts and paranormal activity really do exist. We aim to gather documented evidence to support claims of this existence.

Now I quite agree that you have the right to spout whatever mumbo-jumbo makes your living, but don't expect others to just accept it.

As long as they don't resort to threats I can't see a problem with it. Otherwise it's up to the mods to take whatever actions they see fit.

I think it has got quite a bit better recently. Although even I am beginning to feel a little sorry for labour, who seem to be taking the biggest kicking.

Agreed, I believe that less interference from mods has resulted in poster being able to argue properly without the constant fear of interference and as a result I for one feel justified in saying that I don't feel as worked up by your posts as once I did, a result of this is that I find myself able to take on board more readily what you're saying.

In short I'm saying that over moderation is in fact counter productive in that it winds people up and all they do is transfer their anger to the next post or thread rather than being able to let go and start from fresh.

Politics! I sincerely hope that those who have short memory's and are now doing the kicking, will keep in fine fettle for the next kicking out session and realise that I was right.

Um... There were plenty of scientists of the day who refused to believe his theories as well, because the evidence as they understood it did not agree.

http://www.veritas-ucsb.org/library/origins/quotes/critics.html

I know that, and more-or-less said as much! The so-called 'scientists' could not understand because their minds were clouded by religious dogma.

I have never exploited anybody and if you can call an average of 1 reading a week a living then the cost of living must have dropped drastically without me noticing
But you charge these clients of yours for the reading, right?

Agreed, I believe that less interference from mods has resulted in poster being able to argue properly without the constant fear of interference and as a result I for one feel justified in saying that I don't feel as worked up by your posts as once I did, a result of this is that I find myself able to take on board more readily what you're saying.

In short I'm saying that over moderation is in fact counter productive in that it winds people up and all they do is transfer their anger to the next post or thread rather than being able to let go and start from fresh.

This is so true!