Public Transport- Should Kids/Oaps pay Half fare?

Originally posted by jonsastar

Hey unners

I wasnt aware that the goverment had to fund kids and bids fares, how long has this been happening.

Why dont the bus companys just let the kids and bids on the buses with passes and not claim money from the goverment?

How much do bus companies claim off the goverment per annum?

My daughter lost her bus pass which is issued by the school on a regular basis. we are a bit out in the sticks and live a distance from school, so unless I take them they have a long journey. On a couple of occasions my daughter as gone for the bus without her pass due to her losing it, and the bus driver wouldn't let her on... saying she could be anyone and that he wasn't to know she was a school kid, and that she would have to pay ful price... My daughter wears a uniform for school..... which is quite obvioius to see, I mean what kid would willingly wear the horrible things unless made to do so... and so she explained this and said i'm wearing my uniform... so the bus driver said, you look older than school age... get off the bus unless you are paying full price... derrrr.... I mean was it coming out of his wages... what difference does it make to him...

Originally posted by Plain Talker

The 40p concessionary fare does not mean that the difference is paid between the 40p and the full fare.

It's averaged out, what the average journey costs, and, for every 40p ticket issued, the passenger transport executive (not the council) pays the difference to THAT on each fare to the bus/ tram/ train company, in order to keep a lower-fare subsidy for pensioners, children, or disabled folks.

It gets that set amount whether the 40p fare covers a journey of one single stop, or a train/ bus journey, to Doncaster, Rotherham, or Barnsley etc.

PT

Actually from time to time SYPTE do send out surveyers on the buses who sit at the front of the bus and record where people get on with concessionary passes, and the subsidy is generally based on this.

Originally posted by plodder

My daughter lost her bus pass which is issued by the school on a regular basis. we are a bit out in the sticks and live a distance from school, so unless I take them they have a long journey. On a couple of occasions my daughter as gone for the bus without her pass due to her losing it, and the bus driver wouldn't let her on... saying she could be anyone and that he wasn't to know she was a school kid, and that she would have to pay ful price... My daughter wears a uniform for school..... which is quite obvioius to see, I mean what kid would willingly wear the horrible things unless made to do so... and so she explained this and said i'm wearing my uniform... so the bus driver said, you look older than school age... get off the bus unless you are paying full price... derrrr.... I mean was it coming out of his wages... what difference does it make to him...

Well it is the drivers job on the line. and they are checked up on from time to time. The rule is to get the passholders fare, the passenger MUST show the pass. It is a condition of having the pass, and it is up to the passenger to ensure they have the pass. As the poster campaign on the buses once said 'the driver has no choice, you do'.

Do you have the same attitude if you lose a credit card or passport?

Im not bothered about the kids paying 40p, it's the fact they have relexed the rules so that under 16 can travel after 10pm

75/76 service after 9pm = Anti-Social-Behaviour.

Originally posted by Unregistered

Public transport should be free to all Sheffield Council Tax payers and their chlldren.

Visitors should pay for a £3 daily rover.

I like that idea.

Well, I use a mobility pass, so my bus and tram fares are 40p. However, if when I didn't use my pass I'd pay half fare, I'd never show it because it would work out less than 40p!

if it wasn't for 40p fares you might find a lot of off peak trams and buses would not run, because they would not be viable. So maybe the 40p is subsidising the rest!

In London they pensioers dont pay on the bus or the underground it should be same for all pensioners

Hmm I can see where you're coming from Plodder, but if an inspector gets on and looks at everyone's tickets and passes, it's not good news for the driver's job if half the kids don't have passes. Even though they may look like a 14 year old, they could be a 20 year old late bloomer :D hehe. Back in West Yorkshire it's half the adult fare, which is probably a better system as it more accurately contributes to the length of the journey. A 3 stop ride would cost 20p, a 45 minute one 65p - still good value for money either end of the price range really!!

evreyone who uses public transport should pay full fare the unemployed have to pay full fare so why charge the oaps half fare they should pay the full fare

Originally posted by craigmason

evreyone who uses public transport should pay full fare the unemployed have to pay full fare so why charge the oaps half fare they should pay the full fare

People on JSA (ie unemployed people) can get a reduced price weekly bus ticket, I understand.

OAPs, people on JSA and other benefits, absolutely should pay a reduced fare! Otherwise the potential risk of isolation, lack of ability to carry out food shopping, attend appointments are huge.

i am unemployed and have pay the full price and have never seen a reduced rate ticket for the unemployed it would be fair if the unemployed paid half fair :clap: