Public Transport- Should Kids/Oaps pay Half fare?

Originally posted by unners

It makes a difference to him because it is his job. The amount of times i used to hear the words"ive forgotten my pass" i counted it once on one round trip and the total was 6!!!! in the space of 1.5 hours.If an inspector had got on then i would have been upstairs in the office getting a warning for pass abuse. If she had lost her pass you should have given her £1.40 asked for a ticket to the interchange where she could have got a new pass and problem solved. If i had kids i would make sure that they had their pass before sending them of to school or is that to complecated?

Well said!

A fair price for a journey would be a start. Supertram charge 90p from middlewood to Shalesmoor, irrespectively. If I want to do a load of shopping in hillsborough its a rip off.

But if I was to do a central journey the same distance in town its cheaper!???

Bus drivers charge rates according to how far we travel. Hell I once got on a strange route and asked the driver how far to the uni, he told me, I paid. Then the stop before I wanted he threw me off because I had not paid to the correct stop!!

Conductors on trams would easily be able to remember where people got on, surely.

Dont get it! Not fair at all.

The current system is often abused as hardly any kids show their passes in order to claim their reduced fare, and the same goes for a lot of oap's, so if they were charged a full half fare then the Council tax payer may get a farer deal through the funding he/she provides to the SYPTE.

OK, you should really show your pass when trying to get the 40p fare, but because so many people get away with it, doesn't that show that drivers just can't be bothered to check?

OK, you should really show your pass when trying to get the 40p fare, but because so many people get away with it, doesn't that show that drivers just can't be bothered to check?

Have you realised the date of this thread and that now us sponging oldies actually get any ride for......FREE;)

Have you realised the date of this thread and that now us sponging oldies actually get any ride for......FREE;)

Yep - but I like looking through old threads. So far I'm on page 303 - yay!

yes because the unemployed have to pay full fare so why let oap's and children only pay half

I don't mind the under 16s pass, but after that they should stop giving them out until we're all old - NONE OF THOSE "COLLEGE PASSES" THAT LET YOU GO ON CHEAP TILL YOUR 18...when commuting each day it cost me a lot because I messed up my GCSE's twice and was too old for a cheap pass eventually when I should have been allowed one as a COLLEGE student during my A2 year

yes because the unemployed have to pay full fare so why let oap's and children only pay half

Maybe because senior citizens have probably, (like me) payed their taxes for the last 50 years,saved for their pension,and still pay all their council tax and are not drawing on things they have yet to contribute to.

sorry but i disagree with ur comment u do not have to be wheelchair bound etc to be disabled

Ancient history.....as from last April, us OAP's travel free.......:)

Public transport should be free to all Sheffield Council Tax payers and their chlldren.

Visitors should pay for a £3 daily rover.

...Visitors generally bring money into the city and spend it.

Are you classing 'visitors' as people from outside the Sheff boundary who come into work there, visit friends/family in hospital,go to the theatre, etc,etc.

It would not be unreasonable, in my opinion, for people entitled to subsidised / free fares, to pay 50p for all day unlimited travel.

Should people with mobility passes or Oap's and Children pay half fare when travelling on public transport?

Well my personal view is that they should just like they do in many other cities across the UK.

The current system is often abused as hardly any kids show their passes in order to claim their reduced fare, and the same goes for a lot of oap's, so if they were charged a full half fare then the Council tax payer may get a farer deal through the funding he/she provides to the SYPTE.

If anybody could not prove their age and the Driver was unsure of their age because they look borderline they could be issued with a Half Fare rather then a standard 40p then the tax payer would not have to subsidise the scroungers who try to avoid paying full fare so much.

Its one of the things that used to annoy me when i was a driver the amount of times people would try to get on for 40p and me knowing that it was coming out of my council tax.

The next time you are on a bus or Tram just look how many times people ask for 40p without showing a pass and you will see what i mean. ITS YOUR COUNCIL TAX THEIR WASTING!

Will you apply for a pass when you become sixty?