Has a film adaptation ever improved on the original book?

Simon T

Having just watched the truly awful 'love in the time of cholera' I wondered whether a film can ever top the original book.

I guess some books are more suited to adapting than others

Off the top of my head, wasn't the godfather originally a novel?

I preferred the film 'Field of Dreams' to the book it was based ion 'Shoeless Joe'.

Some books are just difficult to adapt and shouldn't be attempted. :)

Something like 'The Godfather' and other big 'blockbuster' type novels have their own issues with adaptation - primarily editing - but because it's usually a linear narrative structure you can usually make a decent job.

I must admit I preferred the film of fight club to the book - heathen that I am!

I don't know if I preferred it, but this was one film that I was going to say is pretty damn good adaptation.

Another good one is American Psycho. The book is genuinely too much for some people - the graphic violence just ruins it - but I thought the film conveyed the madness without the gore really well. Female director, too :)

Other good ones - Gone with the Wind, Brokeback Mountain...

I don't think the film ever improves the book, though.

I must admit I preferred the film of fight club to the book - heathen that I am!

Not a heathen- you, Sir, are absolutely correct. Brilliant book though it is, the film is so much better. It's just all of the little visual touches that make it for me.

Although i like Phillip K Dick, I love the remakes usually of his short stories. Blade Runner obviously , Total Recall, Minority Report although the Paycheck with Ben Affleck was a bit bobbins.

I prefer Trainspotting the film to Trainspotting the book and I thought they did a good job on About a boy and Fever Pitch but i still prefer the written version of High Fidelity. Can't believe noone has taken the option to make Tony Parsons books- they'd make brilliant films.