The Asia Tsunami Disaster

Originally posted by Delboy3

I would only like to make one observation on this subject....

If England were to have a natural disaster of biblical proportions........Who would aid the UK? as it seems that we always have to help other countries that cannot help themselves.

If they cannot help themselves even in calm times.....who would be there to help the UK citizens?

By the way!!! I did contribute!

Whilst not being a Europhile I'd probably expect that the European Union, the USA, the Commonwealth nations would chip in a little.

Joe

Sniper, how on earth can you compare our needs to those affected by this immense disaster. Where is your compassion and heart for heavens sake. These people were living in poverty before this happened and now thousands of them don't even have the love and support of their families to get them through.

Originally posted by Bedhead

The problem is that giving money to africa does not necessarily goto the people that need it but to governments who are often corrupt and use it to line their pockets or buy big fat guns

I hate to disappoint you, but, believe me, Indonesians are already lining their pockets from the relief operations and I have no reason to think that it is any different in the other countries.

This problem exist all over the world and our own little corner is not immune either.

While disliking it intensely, I regard it as an inevitable cost of my money being used for some benefit. If only 10% gets to the end user, I am very sad, but it is better than nothing.

how about we make sure everyone has the basics - food, shelter, medical assistance when needed, education and clean water?

I'm sure you all agree that the general public have raised a large (by individuals standards) sum of money.

BUT

How much interest are they paying on the development loans given to them by "first world" countries?

The answer to that is quite simple, they are paying out more in interest on their loans than the money we have raised. Shocking but true. If the governments froze the interest on the loan for 2 years they would have more than enough money of their own to rebuild.

If you want more information it is worth a look here:

http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/home.html

Originally posted by Sniper

The whole thing makes me sick to the stomach i know it

was bad but it was a natural disaster and its not as if

England has not got enough problems of its own to

deal with our Hospitals and railways are going up

the spout and look at the army no money for any them

but money for people who have nothing to do with England

what gives why cant we just look after ourselves for once

England first and then them.:rant:

Listen to yourself! Railway problems and hospital waiting lists pale into comparison when measured up to the Indian Ocean Tsunami. Entire generations of families have been wiped out, homes destroyed, businesses destroyed, no food - nothing. And yet you have the gall to complain about having to wait an extra 3 minutes for your train. A little bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.

Originally posted by moongarden

how about we make sure everyone has the basics - food, shelter, medical assistance when needed, education and clean water?

I'm sure you all agree that the general public have raised a large (by individuals standards) sum of money.

BUT

How much interest are they paying on the development loans given to them by "first world" countries?

The answer to that is quite simple, they are paying out more in interest on their loans than the money we have raised. Shocking but true. If the governments froze the interest on the loan for 2 years they would have more than enough money of their own to rebuild.

To his credit, isn't Brown trying to encourage developed countries to write off this debt? I'm sure I saw that on the news. With regards to the money getting to those that need it, if you donate to a responsible organisation like MSF or to the DEC, the money will be used to provide direct aid, rather than to potentially corrupt governments that will pocket the money.

Hiya Chris,

Indeed, Wee Gordon is trying to use his influence to get Debt reduced or written off.

However, and playing Devil's Advocate, it's quite interesting how countries affected by these disasters often manage to have quite a substantial military infrastructure, bought from the West, Russia or China.

Perhaps some governments need to determine whether the money they spend on defending themselves and internal policing might be best spent on ensuring that their citizens are safe form the more usual depradations of nature than possible attacks from foreign nations.

Joe

Originally posted by SlimboyFat

We have may have problems, but nothing on this scale....

Hmm. Someone was arguing a similar argument to this Sniper guy the other day. He figured that the talk of a massive disaster across 3 continents is just an attempt by the media to magnitise the event in order to have something to talk about. Something like 1 person has died on the East coast of Africa and 2 people in some Northern Australasian islands, and all of a sudden its "DISASTER ACROSS 3 CONTINENTS."

In addition he argued that its hardly a case of 'rebuilding Asia' as the media has pitched it. Asia has the largest population compared to any other continent with over a billion in India and over a billion and a half in China. When a couple of hundred thousand people die in Asia, its relative to a villages in Britain being wiped out, in terms of percentage of people to the territory. In this sense, its hardly on the scale for Asia that it is understood to be. For Asia, its not much skin off their nose. Thats if you are comfortable comparing and judging the measure of human life. I wasnt, life is life as far as Im concerned, but he raised a few interesting ideas.

Originally posted by moongarden

BUT

The problem with writing off the debt of 'poor' countries means that we then lose our hold on how they spend their money to some extent - writing off debt would i'd assume mean that these countries would then not 'qualify' for any further aid but the people who need the money the most would still not gain - they'd still be living in poverty under a corrupt government with no potential of receiving anything

they'd probably be less likely to get anything at all given these countries track records - i mean look at all the billions of pounds that's gone into africa over the years but it's not really any better off - some improvements have been made however

what's needed is a way of ensuring that the money goes to the right people and like i said the only possibility of ensuring this is by having some sort of hold over these countries and a say in how they spend the money their given

it's a very complex issue though full of contradictions

I can not believe you would think like that let it no write it for others to read.

There was kids left with nothing a lot lost there families and all you give a s**t about is a stupid rail way and stuff.

I can’t even think about the poor people the kiddies that lives have been cut so short without my tummy turning.

Does it matter where the money comes from it our own choose if you don’t want to give then don’t.

But don’t judge them that do they only have a heart...

:(:mad:

Originally posted by Bedhead

The problem with writing off the debt of 'poor' countries means that we then lose our hold on how they spend their money to some extent - writing off debt would i'd assume mean that these countries would then not 'qualify' for any further aid but the people who need the money the most would still not gain - they'd still be living in poverty under a corrupt government with no potential of receiving anything

they'd probably be less likely to get anything at all given these countries track records - i mean look at all the billions of pounds that's gone into africa over the years but it's not really any better off - some improvements have been made however

what's needed is a way of ensuring that the money goes to the right people and like i said the only possibility of ensuring this is by having some sort of hold over these countries and a say in how they spend the money their given

it's a very complex issue though full of contradictions

There's a lot of good points you've raised there, but I think those are things that need to be done in addition to writing off a lot of the debts.

Not all the debts are the same, some were caused by unscrupulous dictators buying arms while their people starved, but some are as a result of Western Corporations basically defrauding them of their money in all but name.

As you say it is a complicated issue, and anyone who tells you it isn't doesn't understand what they are talking about.

Originally posted by Sniper

The whole thing makes me sick to the stomach

why cant we just look after ourselves for once

England first and then them.:rant:

Sniper is just trying to get a reaction here, he's realised nobody's mentioned this fact yet and thought it might get some folks debating angrily.

The fact is, Sniper just sounds like a tight-fisted, bigotted, cheapskate who has never been abroad and wonders why people dont like him.

My advice mate - get a life. Look at what is happening in the world and try to do a little more than sit ranting through your pc all day.