Should teachers go on strike?

As a newly qualified teacher I do disagree with PRP. I could see schools using it as an excuse not to give you a pay rise even if you deserve one and if you move schools they don't even have to keep you on the same pay spine as your previous employer, many schools employ NQTs because they are so much cheaper to employ than people that have been in the profession for years.

Also the problem with PRP and teachers is that sometimes even if you are a fantastic teacher, some children just don't want to learn for whatever reason no matter how hard you try and I think it's unfair if aspects such as that affect your pay when there's not really a lot you can do about it.

As a newly qualified teacher I don't think you understand PRP.

It is based on a number of items and both you and your boss complete it separately.

You state, for each item, how well you performed and your boss completes how well he thinks you have performed. Each item is then graded.

You then sit together and discuss the results.

If you disagree on any item, you discuss it and come to an amicable agreement.

Once it has been completed, the form (not the boss) tells you how well you have performed.

The boss can then give you a pay rise according to the results of the review.

Unless you are exceptional in all areas, no reflection upon you, there may be some areas in which you have performed well and some not up to expectations.

The results of your classes clearly has an affect on your overall grading but that is just one item (probably the most important).

If you are classified as an exceptional teacher ( and there are a problem with the kids) then that will be discussed at the review. It may be a problem elsewhere within the school or maybe a bad area.

Yes they should. If they are paid and work on a similar basis to their German counterparts, then we would get and keep the caliber of teachers our children deserve, and then perhaps the general public would have more respect for the profession.

As it is, the general public seem happy with cheap non-teachers trying to do the job of teaching their children, and then wonder why standards are below their expectations. Idiots.

I urge to to PM me to arrange a face-to-face meeting.

I am be curious to see if you would care the repeat your odious comment under those circumstances.

---------- Post added 09-09-2013 at 09:34 ----------

It is a benefit that comes with owning 51% + of both companies you work for.

My mum always told me to avoid strange men, I await your comeback on Monday fred?

They aren't planning, they ARE striking. They are planning more strikes to come. Not because they don't think they get enough, but because their pay, pensions and working conditions are being attacked.

And so they should. If they are being demonized, it shouldnt matter if they are teachers or road sweepers. Everyone is entitled to fairness, and if the teachers strike, then so be it. We chose to have children because we wanted them, not so they could be a burden when the teachers cant have them