Is somebody hijacking my wireless network?

We have an unsecured wireless network at work (not sure why its unsecured). It seems slow all the time nowadays. Is there a way of finding out whether someone in the next office is for example downloading stuff etc?

ta

First thing to do is secure the network.

That will stop all but the most determined bandwidth thief.

Having an unsecured wireless network these days is very very risky. Clever people could easily get onto your hard drives and do some real damage!

Why is it unsecured?? Get WPA set up asap.

If you login to the router you will see what ip addresses are accessing the network. If any correspond to computers that aren't in your office you can safely assume that someone else is using it too.

yes cos they will be stealing your netspeed can can have access to you PC aswell so may even be stealing you personal files you are saving on your computer. :rant:

slightly off topic .

My local computer shop told me that he could pick up at least 5 unsecured routers in the flats near his shop!

I picked up one in my daughters street.

My gripe is that the instructions that come with these routers (or the sellers) do not emphasize the the dangers of unsecured connections.

A large % of buyers are computer illiterates and such trusting souls.

Why is it unsecured?? Get WPA set up asap.

If you login to the router you will see what ip addresses are accessing the network. If any correspond to computers that aren't in your office you can safely assume that someone else is using it too.

cool thanks.

Not sure why its unsecured really.. have to get the IT guy to look into

slightly off topic .

My local computer shop told me that he could pick up at least 5 unsecured routers in the flats near his shop!

I picked up one in my daughters street.

My gripe is that the instructions that come with these routers (or the sellers) do not emphasize the the dangers of unsecured connections.

A large % of buyers are computer illiterates and such trusting souls.

i see what you mean but people should take responsibilty for themselves

switch cards don't come with a leaflet saying 'warning: don't tattoo your pin number onto your forehead' either ;-)

it's no good putting loads of personal information onto a computer then connecting it to a public network without looking at how to secure it

switch cards don't come with a leaflet saying 'warning: don't tattoo your pin number onto your forehead' either ;-)

Actually in my experience you do tend to get an insert with your new cards saying "keep your PIN safe."

Can someone explain (to a computer illiterate) how to secure an unsecured network.