Is somebody hijacking my wireless network?

theripsaw

• 1 month later...
My network is unsecured from a WEP point of view but I use MAC address filtering.. how many computers use it? can't you just switch that on?

That is so easy to 'crack' - just sniff the airwaves, get the MAC of an active interface thats using your network, then MAC spoof...

My network is unsecured from a WEP point of view but I use MAC address filtering

In addition to the above.. WEP also sucks, there are a few freely available applications that can crack any WEP key in a few seconds, fair enough it might keep the average joe off your network but anyone with a clue can be using it in a blink of an eye. WPA or WPA2 are the way to go.

Can someone explain (to a computer illiterate) how to secure an unsecured network.

What make/model is your router? The instruction vary from model to model, but once we know that we'll be better equipped to give you instructions!

Back to the general debate, a lot of people don't change the router password or disable remote admin, either, so one trip to *.*.*.*:8080 and they're in. That could cause a few headaches!

One of my housemates decided to install McCrappy wireless security, which for some reason was able to access the router, DOWNGRADE the security to WEP and change the SSID? Needless to say I got rather cross... and fixed it :thumbsup:

What make/model is your router? The instruction vary from model to model, but once we know that we'll be better equipped to give you instructions!

It's a NETGEAR WGR614v4. I suppose your question points to the solution - I had been assuming it was a Windows thing.

I have the CD that came with the router and the manual therein talks about WEP (not that I can understand it) from what I have read this is now of little use, and WPA? is required. Do I need a new router?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

PS how do I make the quote in my post look like those in everyone elses?