Is somebody hijacking my wireless network?

theripsaw

just make sure the quote is marked by opening and closing [ QUOTE ] tags. your quote above didn't use the closing tag [ /QUOTE ]

back to the problem in hand though, according to the info here your router can provide WPA security (which, yes, is more secure than WEP!).

I suggest you consult the manual about how to configure the WPA security on your router.

What make/model is your router? The instruction vary from model to model, but once we know that we'll be better equipped to give you instructions!

It's a NETGEAR WGR614v4. I suppose your question points to the solution - I had been assuming it was a Windows thing.

I have the same router, although it's v6.

Open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1, which should take you to the admin panel for the router. It might ask for the admin username and password, which if you've not changed them are:

User: admin

Pass: password

On the left hand side of the admin panel is a blue menu, and you want to choose "wireless settings" which should be the second one down.

When you've clicked on this, it will give you the option of what you want to call the wireless network (SSID), the type of security and the password for that security.

Click the circle next to WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

And then choose a password (make sure you write this down - very important!). Try to choose one with at least a few numbers and a capital letter in it, as it will be case-sensitive.

None of the other settings need changing.

Once that's done, click apply.

You will now have to reconnect to the wireless network by selecting it from the list on your computer's wireless software and entering the wireless password you chose.

Hey presto. One secured wireless network.

Open your browser and type in 192.168.1.1, which should take you to the admin panel for the router.

It didn't,....but.... after a closer look at the info on the back of the router I found that 192.168.0.1 did. Your instructions followed and as you say... Hey presto. Many thanks.

It didn't,....but.... after a closer look at the info on the back of the router I found that 192.168.0.1 did. Your instructions followed and as you say... Hey presto. Many thanks.

Yeah, it's weird. Some are 1.1, some are 0.1, this one was 2.1 when I got it, and a factory reset made it 1.1.....

No worries, glad you got it sorted!