Bus Strike

Do you support the bus strike?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the bus strike?

• No, get back to work
    • Yes, support the drivers.

No First is not the major operater in Barnsley this belongs to Yorkshire Traction who also own Barnsley & Dristrict. The last figures I saw for the major bus groups operating in the UK was that First had 23% Arriva 15% Stagecoach 15% Go Ahead 8% market share

National Express own Travel West Midlands (Birmingham Area)?%

There are then several medium size bus group companies like Yorkshire Traction,Blazefield and Trent Barton. Just the other day while waiting for a train I was have a flick through the mags at Smiths and it seems First are getting bad press in several other areas Manchester and Leeds being nearest for bringing in older buses from its other operating areas.Sheffield has had some from Northampton and London in the the past year. Also have you noticed the increasing use of pieces of card to show service number and destination. The other practice not just in Sheffield is why colour code the bus for Overground network operation then put that bus on some other route?

Originally posted by slimsid2000

One more point. I have noticed how many bus drivers seem to smoke (EVEN ON BUSES WHERE THEY KNOW THEY SHOULD NOT). Perhaps if they gave up their wages would go a lot further. As a life long non-smoker I certainly don't waste my money on fags and quite honestly have little sympathy for those who do and then come crying poverty.

If you can't help looking like an idiot when you open your mouth, staying silent is surely a better option...

If a bus driver wants to spend his earnings on cigarettes, then that is his or her right. And nothing to do with you, and nothing to do with whether they are entitled to a better pay structure.

I suppose you go shopping for only the bare nutritional essentials for survival, as anything more extravagant would be an appalling waste of money?

Or is it that a bus driver is so low in your eyes that it's an outrage that they should have any amount of "disposable" income - i.e. money that doesn't go on bills, food and rent/mortgage?

It seems that the people who always get forgotten in cases like this are the most important people of all - the customers; without whom First would not have a business

That is the whole point of leverage in a strike. If the employers don't make the effort to negotiate reasonably and come to a settlement, then the staff go on strike, which means the customers aren't spending money, which hits the company where it hurts! The longer the strike goes on for, the more the companies bottom line gets damaged, which focuses management minds.

And of course the longer the strike goes on for the longer the staff don't get paid.

So it is in everybody's interest to resolve it as soon as possible.

One more point. I have noticed how many bus drivers seem to smoke (EVEN ON BUSES WHERE THEY KNOW THEY SHOULD NOT). Perhaps if they gave up their wages would go a lot further. As a life long non-smoker I certainly don't waste my money on fags and quite honestly have little sympathy for those who do and then come crying poverty.

So what do you waste money on? Alcohol perhaps? You don't need to waste money drinking booze, you are obviously getting paid too much and should have a pay cut.

Obviously that is a stupid statement, as is the statement that drivers wouldn't need a pay rise if they gave up smoking.

You may be glad of deregulation if there is a strike. At least the trams and yorkshire Terrier buses will still run. In the old days a bus strike ment that there was no public transport at all.

Well there was always good old BR!

Some people moan about bus drivers being unhelpful or bad-mannered etc, but I wonder how many people would be able to cope with the impatient and rude passengers they have to deal with every day for what amounts to barely more than the minimum wage!

Although I have a car, I prefer to use public transport when possible and most of the bus drivers I meet are polite and good at their job, but I do think they are right to expect a decent wage for what is a very stressful and difficult job!

Not read the rest of the post yet, but based on a 40 hour week you are getting £416 a year more which is more than my rise. (for the 865 drivers balloted this is almost 400k first we need to pay) You only went on strike last year for the same issue, greed on the driver as well as the company.

You are sorry for the public, but it is us that suffer. be in rises in fares or paying for taxi's etc to get us to work.

And what notice do we get not even a week. Yes I admit we get notice that you may go on strike in a week but the actual notice is less than that. We have very little time to prepare alt. transport to get to work, doctors, hospitals, shopping etc.

I see the advert looking for drivers who can offer good customer service, where is the customer service in this action???

With the pay rise no matter how much you manage to get will you improve on your (all drivers not you personally) customer service skills, and learn how to speak to people, operate the low floor buses when needed not having to ask or sometimes demand, etc

I will wait and see.

Jubby

Originally posted by Internetowl

I cannot believe anyone on this board would accept a 24p per week pay rise over two years...its farcical

its 24p an hour which over 40 hour week is £416 a year. More than most people get.

Jubby

Archived