Bus Strike

Do you support the bus strike?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the bus strike?

• No, get back to work
    • Yes, support the drivers.

Originally posted by Andy C

OK, with my helpful hat on, let's get together a list of public transport services operated by other companies, which can be used whilst First is on strike (if it goes ahead of course)

Trains:

Sheffield-Meadowhall-Chapeltown-Barnsley

Sheffield-Darnall-Woodhouse-Kiveton-Worksop

Sheffield-Dore-Hope Valley-Manchester

Sheffield-Meadowhall-Rotherham-Doncaster

Trams:

Yellow: Meadowhall-Sheffield-Middlewood

Blue: Halfway-Sheffield-Malin Bridge

Purple: Herdings Park-Sheffield

Yorkshire Terrier buses

25 Bradway-Woodseats-Heeley-Sheffield-Woodhouse

49/49A Herdings-Sheffield-Parson Cross

52 Hillsborough-Crookes-Sheffield-Darnall-Woodhouse

61/62/63/64/65 Hillsborough/Bradfield rural links network

72/72A/72B Batemoor-Woodseats-Sheffield-Darfield/Manvers/Meadowhall

74/74A Millhouses-Ecclesall Road-Sheffield-High Green

120 Halfway-Sheffield-Hallamshire Hospital

123 Holbrook-Sheffield-Walkley

TM Travel buses

89 Sheffield-Woodseats-Dronfield-Holmesfield-Chesterfield

213/214 Meadowhall-Wirksworth

252 Sheffield-Waterthorpe

285 Sheffield-Hallowes

293 Meadowhall-Sheffield-Millhouses-Bradway-Dronfield

Stagecoach buses

43/44 Sheffield-Woodseats-Dronfield-Chesterfield

50/53 Sheffield-Mosborough-Chesterfield/Mansfield

65 Sheffield-Buxton

272 Sheffield-Castleton

747 Meadowhall-Woodseats-Chesterfield-Mansfield-Nottingham

767 Meadowhall-Worksop

Aston buses

M17 Jordanthorpe-Greenhill-Low Edges-Bradway-Totley-Dore

253 Sheffield-Woodseats-Coal Aston-Apperknowle-Waterthorpe

265 Sheffield-Chapeltown-Barnsley

First Staffordshire buses

X18 Sheffield-Totley-Bakewell-Buxton-Leek-Hanley

Hulleys

272 Sheffield-Castleton

Barnsley & District

X10 Sheffield-Meadowhall-Chapeltown-Barnsley

Thats all well and good until about 6pm for a lot of these services Terrier def. finish about 6pm the 49/49A does anyway. Also what about Sunday? and BH as August BH is coming up.

Jubby

Guest unners
With the pay rise no matter how much you manage to get will you improve on your (all drivers not you personally) customer service skills, and learn how to speak to people, operate the low floor buses when needed not having to ask or sometimes demand, etc

I will wait and see.

Jubby

Im a driver for First,I also worked for Telewest,Siemens,BT and Insight in the past in customer services so i have plenty of customer service skills. I know how to talk to people and defuse 'situations'.

I also operate the kneeling function on the buses when i feel it is necessary or when asked. For example old people or people with prams and very rarely do i get a thank you.

Regarding the issue of pay,i do not think that pay is to bad (after you have done four years service) but i have been doing the job 1 year and people who start with the company at the moment get a £500 bonus after a year which means i will earn less than them in the first year,that is my personal gripe with the company.

Also the man management skills of the company is appauling, i have only been talked to by the manager once in the last year and that was being accused of something that i never did!!

You are basically there to drive and thats it,no appraisals,feed back on performance or career progression plans etc. As one old driver on the forum used to say you are just a number.

But after all that i have said,i actually love the job you get to meet people who are generally nice,im not stuck in a office like i used to be and i get out and about. Its just a shame there is a stigmer attached to being a bus driver and some people have no respect for you nowadays.

Originally posted by unners

Im a driver for First,I also worked for Telewest,Siemens,BT and Insight in the past in customer services so i have plenty of customer service skills. I know how to talk to people and defuse 'situations'.

I also operate the kneeling function on the buses when i feel it is necessary or when asked. For example old people or people with prams and very rarely do i get a thank you.

Regarding the issue of pay,i do not think that pay is to bad (after you have done four years service) but i have been doing the job 1 year and people who start with the company at the moment get a £500 bonus after a year which means i will earn less than them in the first year,that is my personal gripe with the company.

Also the man management skills of the company is appauling, i have only been talked to by the manager once in the last year and that was being accused of something that i never did!!

You are basically there to drive and thats it,no appraisals,feed back on performance or career progression plans etc. As one old driver on the forum used to say you are just a number.

But after all that i have said,i actually love the job you get to meet people who are generally nice,im not stuck in a office like i used to be and i get out and about. Its just a shame there is a stigmer attached to being a bus driver and some people have no respect for you nowadays.

Glad to hear you are one of the nice drivers. In fact all the first drivers that post on here on the nice ones who do care for the customers.

It was nice to see that the first person who posted about the strike was a bus driver informing us and not someone moaning about it.

I know its the Union to blame re the amount of notice not the drivers.

Keep up the good work and switch to the 48 route we need all the nice drivers as they are virtully none on that route.

Jubby

Originally posted by jubby

Keep up the good work and switch to the 48 route we need all the nice drivers as they are virtully none on that route.

Jubby

I did 48's for 2 years,and its mainly the passengers on that route that give the drivers the hump

Originally posted by jubby

Thats all well and good until about 6pm for a lot of these services Terrier def. finish about 6pm the 49/49A does anyway. Also what about Sunday? and BH as August BH is coming up.

Jubby

Very true, but should get people to work and back.

Most of the Stagecoach buses do run later, as do the Stagecoach trams, and all the train companies.

Odd other obscure ones run late such as the Aston 253 and TM Travel 89.

I believe the Yorkshire Terrier buses on route 52 run until about 9:30pm.

Originally posted by uncleheed

I did 48's for 2 years,and its mainly the passengers on that route that give the drivers the hump

That'll be the Shiregreen end then.

We at the Blackstock Road end are nicer even if on a Sunday morning they are only 1 every hour (on the timetable anyway)

Typical scene by a 48 driver - your in town wanting to go home a 47 comes with a 48 behind, the 48 will go round the 47 and drive off. You phone up first to complain they state why didn't you get the 47. Answer becuase the 47 DOESN'T go on Blackstock Road.

Why do 48 drivers asume you are getting off the bus before Newfield shops?

Jubby

it sounds great when you work it out like that doesn't it. £400+, more than you got, so how dare they strike.

The fact is the cost of living has risen by greater than that amount in the last year, so they are simply fighting to stay at the same level in this case.

£400 a year payrise is pitiful. The fact that your job is even worse is no reason to drag bus drivers down with you.

Anyway, this doesn't sound like greed to me. Holding out for 30% like the fireservice did I might put down to greed. It all depends really doesn't it. I asked for and got a 30% payrise this year, I wasn't going to go one strike for it... But it comes to a little more than £400 anyway. And that wasn't greed either, I based it on market value and the salaries of colleagues doing a similer job.

Originally posted by Cyclone

it sounds great when you work it out like that doesn't it. £400+, more than you got, so how dare they strike.

The fact is the cost of living has risen by greater than that amount in the last year, so they are simply fighting to stay at the same level in this case.

£400 a year payrise is pitiful. The fact that your job is even worse is no reason to drag bus drivers down with you.

Anyway, this doesn't sound like greed to me. Holding out for 30% like the fireservice did I might put down to greed. It all depends really doesn't it. I asked for and got a 30% payrise this year, I wasn't going to go one strike for it... But it comes to a little more than £400 anyway. And that wasn't greed either, I based it on market value and the salaries of colleagues doing a similer job.

Remember they get other perk as well

Like a bus pass for them and their partner work about a grand a year - it costs me £43 a month for mine which I still have to pay if they strike, so it costs me twice. Once for the pass in the first place and second for the taxi to get me to work, which will cost me a hours wage to pay for.

Like I've said its in line with inflation, and its the customers who pay their wages who suffer.

I don't come back with we don't pay their wages as a first driver has already said on this forum before as how do first get their money - though fares of course.

Jubby

Archived