Should Ian Huntley receive legal aid?

Should Ian Huntley receive legal aid?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ian Huntley receive legal aid?

• yes
    • no

Anything else against him would be a drop in the ocean. He might as well admit it and get it over with, IF hes guilty of it. Its going to make no difference to him either way but it might help his victim.

The legal aid he should be given is a length of rope and a trap door.

Not subtle but hard to argue with.

Or a piece of soap, a nice warm shower and Mr T in drag

Anything else against him would be a drop in the ocean. He might as well admit it and get it over with, IF hes guilty of it. Its going to make no difference to him either way but it might help his victim.

As this is a civil case, it wont be a question of guilty or not guilty - he will either be found liable or not. If he is found liable, he cannot receive more custody for it, but the Claimant may be awarded compensation. But just how much she expects him to be able to pay out of his weekly prison wage is anyone's guess. It therefore looks like a costly paper exercise.

The legal aid he should be given is a length of rope and a trap door.

What purpose is served in prolonging his, and our, agony?

He wants this, he wants to die.

He should spend all his life in prison in misery IMO. He's apparently (as I've read in the papers) extremely unhappy and suicidal. That is more justice than him hanging. I'm happy to pay my taxes for him to live in misery.

But as I'm always criticising people for straying off the OP subject. I'll answer the OP question, which is that he is entitled to legal aid. Should he have? probably not if you could personally take every inmate inividually.

Hard cases make bad law.

The present legal aid rules say he's entitled to the assistance.

If you find yourself being prosecuted and without money then you will get help also.

If you dislike this then make the effort to refine/change the rules.-You live in a democracy.

What is worth thinking about imo (rather than 'what a scoundrel, I wish he were dead' type rants) is this:

Huntley gets nothing.

The lawyer gets the money.(and if there were none to be had would presumably not bother).......

....and in general:

Lawyers want money.

They can get money by fighting legal aid cases.

Legal aid cases require clients without money.

So the hunting ground for legal-aid-money-getting-by-lawyers is going to be:

Scoundrels in prison.

The 'underclass'.

So we may as well steel ourselves for a great deal more such cases -with attendant fury and dismay.

>goto para. 4.

He should spend all his life in prison in misery IMO. He's apparently (as I've read in the papers) extremely unhappy and suicidal. That is more justice than him hanging.

Wrong. Your opinion has nothing to do with justice and everything to do with vengeance.

he shouldn't be helped to get out of anything but thats not the case here, this woman is doing this purely for money, whether it happened or not is not for me to decide but she cant be doing it so he doesn't hurt anyone else, she could have done that when it happened, maybe he'd be in prison for it n not a caretaker but who knows.

Everyone is entitled to representation in court- and he's still entitled to the same rules as everyone else since on this charge he's innocent until proven guilty.

I can't personally see this coming to court, but if it does then he's entitled to a competent defence, same as anyone else.

ididnt bother reading any of the posts because when you hear a name like ian huntley knowing full well what he did. He should be mercilessly killed in front of a large crowd very slowly and then brought back to life so we can all see it again!!

I REST MY CASE!

doh! just read the first post! he was assaulted poor ian im really sad now! feed him to the rapists and murderers in nick. is that better?

Or a piece of soap, a nice warm shower and Mr T in drag

Naah, the evil excuse for a human being might enjoy it.