Should Ian Huntley receive legal aid?

Should Ian Huntley receive legal aid?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Should Ian Huntley receive legal aid?

• yes
    • no

The life sentence is to prevent him being a danger to others. Anyone who is pleased because another human being is in misery, is exacting vengeance, not justice.
So you would be pleased to hear that he was happy and having a great time in jail then?

It's a civil case. There will not be a criminal trial.

sorry i know nowt about it except what he did!

The life sentence is to prevent him being a danger to others. Anyone who is pleased because another human being is in misery, is exacting vengeance, not justice.

Dont you think the lives he took should be avenged? I do

I think vengeance and justice are inextricably linked in this instance. Anyone who shows him any mercy is doing it for their own conscience with little regard for the victims IMO.

Huntley is not even in the maximum sercurity wing so his life aint a misery- lets send him to that wing, prison has its own laws and rules- kiddie killers/fiddlers are at the bottom of the pile the cons would show him real justice

It is the most terrible thing what that "man" did. Gets me real mad to think that even with a double life sentence he is getting away with it. He should be treated the same way as his victims. The punishment should fit the crime, tax payers should not have to pay for his food and his imprisonment. Beaten to death and buried in a shallow grave with no markings of who or what he was is too good for him. ill not say anymore now.

With the new legal aid reforms that the government are pushing in, hardly anyone will be able to receive legal aid.....

I think vengeance and justice are inextricably linked in this instance. Anyone who shows him any mercy is doing it for their own conscience with little regard for the victims IMO.

How exactly would it the be possible to 'show regard' to the victims?

Nobody's talking about showing mercy, just treating the man equally under the law.

How exactly would it the be possible to 'show regard' to the victims?

Nobody's talking about showing mercy, just treating the man equally under the law.

There are a lot of "victims" other than Holly & Jessica who suffer from his deeds and they should be considered over and above anything else.

I have agreed earlier in the thread that he should nevertheless get same entitlement to legal aid to be represented fairly in court. The situation regarding the matter for which he has been convicted is different.

It is the most terrible thing what that "man" did. Gets me real mad to think that even with a double life sentence he is getting away with it. He should be treated the same way as his victims. The punishment should fit the crime, tax payers should not have to pay for his food and his imprisonment. Beaten to death and buried in a shallow grave with no markings of who or what he was is too good for him.

Okay, he's in jail, and won't be released. Nothing we do to him, or don't do, will bring back his victims; nothing we do, or don't do, will prevent him from reoffending because he can't. He's in jail.

So what purpose would be served by your suggestions?

How's he supposed to defend himself if he doesn't get legal aid?

does he deserve to defend himself ?.....doesnt he deserve to be locked up forever or worse for his crime

Ian huntley will be Jail until he's at least 68 years old, his sentence was three times harsher than the minimum terms for most convicted murderers. He has already been attacked by another inmate with boiling water and tried to kill himself with anti-depressants twice, once awaiting trial and once in Sept.

He may thank the people calling for his execution. I doubt he'll even get let out at 68, if he lives that long. I view his sentence as completely fair, anything more and it's because it's what the public want to see not what a judge has decided is fair.

His murderers were unfair in the extreme and he is indeed a scumbag but justice is all about being fair.

I trust the judge to know what is a fair sentence and I trust the UK legal system to provide assistance in cases where otherwise, an unfair trial would result.

I believe he should get free legal aid.

Just a question, what are peoples motives for calling for IH to be subject to violence? the victims or for their own piece of mind.