Would you employ a known member of the BNP?

yes i would employ him/her why not if they could do the job at hand, if not then no.you employ them to work not hold political meetings

Its a tricky one.

Rather than just single the BNP out, why not talk about anyone who has extreme views. I would be equally uncomfortable employing or working with someone who had radical Islamic ideas, for example someone who posted on or supported websites which condone the 7/7 bombings, bombers as Martyrs etc.

I also have a distinct dislike for dreadful loud mouthed, lager swilling violent knob heads who take great glee in kicking peoples heads in of a Friday night - and I have worked with a couple in the past - so does this mean we could sack / not employ them on the grounds that we dissaprove of their lifestyle and beliefs? They may be a model employee in the workplace.

My understanding of the law is that, as a legal party, one cannot legally discriminate against BNP members purely on the basis of their membership (correct me if I am wrong here)

If on the other hand, the interviewee said "well, I aint working with no p*kis, then that would be a totally differnet story"

Finally, where do you draw the line? Would UKIP membership be considered as bad for example?

I'd employ someone regardless of their political affiliations, I employ according to their ability to do the job. My employees may or may not get up to all kinds of things I don't approve of outside work, that's none of my business, literally. Maybe if they were in BNP I could try persuade them not to be but it's still up to them and wouldn't effect their employment

that's interesting.

So they could if they wished campaign actively against your company in their private time? Afterally, it's none of your business, right?

Listen,

here is the cruc of the issue.I work in a team of 20 people. If i knew my workmates were racist, then the last thing i would do is to interact with them.And this ofcourse will hamper the team morale and effectiveness.

And therefore concept of team work will cease to function.

So who should the employer get rid of? Perhaps it should be the person who is incapable of forming effective working relationships with people who don't share his/her beliefs and values.

that's interesting.

So they could if they wished campaign actively against your company in their private time? Afterally, it's none of your business, right?

A member of the communist party would be doing exactly that in effect.

Its a tricky one.

Rather than just single the BNP out, why not talk about anyone who has extreme views. I would be equally uncomfortable employing or working with someone who had radical Islamic ideas, for example someone who posted on or supported websites which condone the 7/7 bombings, bombers as Martyrs etc.

I also have a distinct dislike for dreadful loud mouthed, lager swilling violent knob heads who take great glee in kicking peoples heads in of a Friday night - and I have worked with a couple in the past - so does this mean we could sack / not employ them on the grounds that we dissaprove of their lifestyle and beliefs? They may be a model employee in the workplace.

In both of those examples, yes, the first would be covered under the disrepute clause. The second assuming that they were convicted would also be covered under the same clause.

So who should the employer get rid of? Perhaps it should be the person who is incapable of forming effective working relationships with people who don't share his/her beliefs and values.

Which would be the person with the racist or other discriminatory values, not the people who they actively discriminated against.

A member of the communist party would be doing exactly that in effect.

Campaiging against all private business is hardly the same as campaiging against a specific company.

Although if I found out about active campaiging against privately owned companies i'd have to wonder if the person was actually committed to doing their job...

Which would be the person with the racist or other discriminatory values, not the people who they actively discriminated against.

In the quoted example no-one had been discriminated against.

I wonder how many people would employ someone who told you at an interview that he was a member of an organisation who promoted having sex with children? I certainly wouldn't, and I would think that the majority of people wouldn't say that his private views are his own. Would they tolerate him talking to other members of staff about sex with children in his breaks? Would they be happy if his views were exposed and then customers didn't want to be customers any more?

In the case of a blatant racist such as a BNP member we have someone who might want to speak to other members of staff during his breaks about how immigrants (such as some of the customers) should be sent home or how whites are far more intelligent etc. Spreading these offensive views shouldn't be tolerated in the same way as those of a paedophiles shouldn't. If the paedophiles get together (as they have in Holland) and form a party then will we all say "their political views are none of my business"? My view is that some views, even if wraped in a thin veil of repectability such as a religion or political party, are offensive and just plain wrong and we don't have to pander to them.

that's interesting.

I think you know what I mean, plenty people slag their employers off and I'm sure even mine do. I don't feel I have a right to employ people according to their politics, BNP are part of democratic process same as all the others and the electorate should deal with them accordingly. I don't support them incidentally.

I wonder how many people would employ someone who told you at an interview that he was a member of an organisation who promoted having sex with children?

Are such organisations legal in this country?