Would you employ a known member of the BNP?

Judging by the replys to this thread I gather many forum members would not employ a known BNP member on the grounds that he/she is assumed to be a racist Nazi. Would these same people refuse to employ an Islamic Fundamentalist on the grounds that they are potential terrorists ?

Cracking point well put.

If they proclaim themselves to be a member of a Jihadist group then no, I wouldn't employ them.

Or by "fundamentalist" do you just mean people who wear funny clothes, have beards and prey 5 times a day?

Judging by the replys to this thread I gather many forum members would not employ a known BNP member on the grounds that he/she is assumed to be a racist Nazi. Would these same people refuse to employ an Islamic Fundamentalist on the grounds that they are potential terrorists ?

My answer would be the same. I said pretty much said it would depend on their suitibility for the role and that I would be cautious and hope to discuss a few things with them - that's assuming that they were 'enthusiastic', about their religion, shall we say - if they were plainly a terrorist or had similar views and wishes, then no way, of course I wouldn't employ them - but not all fundementalists are terrorists of course.

If they proclaim themselves to be a member of a Jihadist group then no, I wouldn't employ them.

Or by "fundamentalist" do you just mean people who wear funny clothes, have beards and prey 5 times a day?

Assuming every BNP member is a nazi racist is as daft as assuming every bearded, traditionally dressed and deeply religious muslim is a Jihadi. Also, If during a job interview you asked the BNP member if he was a racist/nazi he wouldn't tell you. Neither would the muslim admit to supporting the Jihad.

If you found out at a later date that either of them did hold extremist views then you would have a hell of a job to get rid of them under British employment law.

My answer would be the same. I said pretty much said it would depend on their suitibility for the role and that I would be cautious and hope to discuss a few things with them - that's assuming that they were 'enthusiastic', about their religion, shall we say - if they were plainly a terrorist or had similar views and wishes, then no way, of course I wouldn't employ them - but not all fundementalists are terrorists of course.

If when filling out a job application form, they put "terrorism" down under the 'Interests' heading, it would make the police's job so much easier.

If when filling out a job application form, they put "terrorism" down under the 'Interests' heading, it would make the police's job so much easier.

Actually - silly as it sounds - for a lot of postitions of work, e.g. in government organisations you do have to sign to say that you're not a terrorist, have never tried to overthrow the royal family, etc. lol.

Actually - silly as it sounds - for a lot of postitions of work, e.g. in government organisations you do have to sign to say that you're not a terrorist, have never tried to overthrow the royal family, etc. lol.

When I bought my Dell pc, I had to solomnly swear that I wouldn't use it for acts of international terrorism.

When I bought my Dell pc, I had to solomnly swear that I wouldn't use it for acts of international terrorism.

There you go then! ;)

Under no circumstances whatsoever would I even consider employing a member of the BNP and if I had a member of staff who was a member and I only found out after I had employed them I would get rid of them even if I ended up in court.I don't believe in giving platforms to racists or facists.

Under no circumstances whatsoever would I even consider employing a member of the BNP and if I had a member of staff who was a member and I only found out after I had employed them I would get rid of them even if I ended up in court.I don't believe in giving platforms to racists or facists.

Perhaps you ought to hire private detectives to follow your staff around and check they’re not expressing opinions you disagree with in their own time.

Your comment makes you just as bigoted as a BNP member.

It's one of the questions that the US has asked people applying for visas for many years. I saw a programme about 9/11 which showed the visa of one of the hijackers and his answer to this question. They seemed to be showing it in defence of not doing anything about this person - like, "well he told us he wasn't a terrorist so how were we meant to know he was?" Do they seriously think that anyone will ever answer 'yes' to this question? What sort of protection is it offering?

I wouldn't employ a person who, in an interview, exlaimed they were a member of the BNP - or even on a job app as it's not the place for such things. If I found out from others even, that they'd been involved in racism - I still wouldn't give them a chance. If they kept their sick views to themselves and out of work I'd be none the wiser, and they'de probably have a job - unless a report comes from the police or in the local news of them practising their belief. I don't believe any racists/nazis belong anywhere in society.