What Really Takes You Back In Time (In A Good Way)

What music, films, food, experiences, places you have lived (or whatever!) really take you back in time to the best times of your life? We all go through ebbs and flows in life but, what stands out for you?

Maybe I'll post some of mine after I hear yours. :D

For me it's wearing certain aftershaves which I wore when I was younger. I think smells are very evocative and can really take you back to the moment. (Boss Number 1, Paco Rabanne, and 1881 Men by Cerruti, in case you were wondering).

The taste of oven chips or yorkshire puddings & gravy takes me back to my childhood years at my Mum & Dads.

• Like 1

Whenever I smell germolene it takes my back to being with my Nan. Sometimes when I'm not feeling up to the mark and I want to cheer myself up I get the germolene out and remember my Nan. 

• Like 3

The smell of a really well-cooked burger takes me back to my first visits to Uncle Sam's Chuck Wagon on Ecclesall Road in the mid-70s. As soon as you were seated a waitress (they were always waitresses) would bring you all a cold glass of water. Gawd knows why they stopped doing that. It was really civilised and customer-focused.

(To this day I still reckoned their chilli con-carne and melted cheese tacos are unbeatable.)

McDonalds and the like are pitiful comparisons after you'd encounter one of Sam's proper flame-grilled burgers.

• Like 1

As a young child, the daily Paludrine tablet :gag:  and sleeping under mosquito nets at night is memorable, but so are the many happy hours spent on a foot-burning hot and deserted sandy beach, surfing with my sis.

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Whenever I smell germolene it takes my back to being with my Nan. Sometimes when I'm not feeling up to the mark and I want to cheer myself up I get the germolene out and remember my Nan. 

Mmmm! Germolene. ♥️  And TCP.

• Like 2

The Madonna song 'This used to be my playground', I used to pass my old school prep,  it had been built over & what was left were the high school wrought iron gates and grass at the front.  (song is from 'Desperately Seeking Susan')

• Like 1

Going the match / I won’t state which team so as not to turn it into something else.

but I can still look at areas in the ground I’ve sat in for going on 40 years and all the memories that come with it.

the pubs beforehand are different on a match day to any other day. 

buying a programme, having a bet. 

Seeing people that I only really see through football.

love it and don’t do it as much as I used to unfortunately.

• Like 1