New Sheffield Shipping Container Complex Given Green Light: Stack

IMG_3839.jpeg.5b82becbd9e5f0895188fd1151d80813.jpeg

Sheffield is set to welcome a new addition to its urban landscape with the approval of STACK, a shipping container complex designed to host street food vendors and bars. Located strategically between the O2 Academy and the Odeon Cinema, the development aims to offer a new social and culinary destination in the city. Scheduled to open in spring 2025, STACK is expected to create up to 140 jobs, contributing to the local economy.

The project received the green light from Sheffield City Council officers despite facing objections from several parties, including the Academy Music Group, which operates the O2 Academy. The group expressed concerns that the new development could interfere with the O2's operations. However, the applicant's consultant countered these claims, suggesting a lack of engagement from the opposing parties. 

In addition to operational concerns, other objections raised included the need for more cycle storage, as highlighted by Green Party councillor Ruth Mersereau, advocating for sustainable transportation options to the site. Concerns about emergency evacuation procedures were also mentioned, emphasizing the need for comprehensive planning in the container complex's layout.

The developers describe STACK as a mixed-use development aimed at creating a contemporary social hub in Sheffield city centre. Drawing inspiration from similar successful projects in other cities, such as Newcastle, the intention is to offer a vibrant space that supports the local food and entertainment scene. The project is seen as an opportunity to bring a new dimension to Sheffield's urban environment, promoting economic growth and job creation.

STACK represents a significant development for Sheffield, offering prospects for job creation and urban renewal. While it has faced objections related to its potential impact on neighboring businesses and environmental concerns, the project has received official approval and is moving forward. The development aims to provide a dynamic space for social interaction, dining, and entertainment, contributing to the city's cultural and economic landscape.

Very surprising considering the recent experiment with food outlets in shipping containers. They barely lasted longer than Liz Truss.

How many street food vendors are there ? What with this and the new big food hall opening soon, is there enough to go round? 

Food, bars & drunken cyclists :huh:.

Come on girl we're off for a meal, and a swallow of the old falling down water.

Get yer cycle clips out,  we're taking 'tandem :suspect:

Pin on Poses

As long as the council are not funding it then I have no objection.

i wonder if the council has any containers that they could sell to the developers 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Pin on Poses

38 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Pin on Poses

Hardly a 'quote' Irene.

I was looking forward to some words of wisdom from yer 😀

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Vrsaljko said:

Very surprising considering the recent experiment with food outlets in shipping containers. They barely lasted longer than Liz Truss.

One was run by a local authority. One is a private venture. 

You may as well compare chalk and cheese. 

Aah but you wouldn't be drunk on the way there only after you have been to the container park, erm I mean bar...

Lock the tandem up and get the tram home! 😁

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Pin on Poses

Hey Rockers, how did you get that photo of my parents taken in 1938?😃

echo.

9 hours ago, Vrsaljko said:

Very surprising considering the recent experiment with food outlets in shipping containers.

The set up of the Council-run scheme at the top of Fargate descended in to farce and practically killed it off before it ever got going. Instead of opening with a full set of vendors in the height of summer, pulling in punters with sunshine and England Women's football matches, it ended up opening in a grey and dreary October with about two outlets.

STACK have already delivered numerous successful schemes in the UK and - unless local politics and administration somehow manages to find a way to interfere - they'll likely deliver a successful scheme here, too.

Good on them. That side of Arundel Gate needs some life in it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, echo beach said:

Hey Rockers, how did you get that photo of my parents taken in 1938?😃

echo.

I'd heard, I'd another sibling left on the Chapel steps.

Welcome to the family Echo :heyhey: