1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

I've never been stopped but that doesn't stop me having my own views.

Years ago,  You stood at the counter and the shop assistants used to SERVE you.      Now,  they insist you SERVE YOURSELF  to save them money.         Serves em reight.

Everyone seems quite happy to self-service petrol stations for years without all this whining.

So when people do drive offs from petrol stations, losing them money -  it's all their own fault too.....right.  

Personally, when I go shopping - something I hate, but have to - my priority is to get what I want as quickly as possible, pay as quickly as possible, and get out - as quickly as possible. The very occasional recheck doesn't worry me, as I appreciate that a business has to protect its stock/profits.

From memory, I think I had about four random checks last year - none of them a full check, just half-a-dozen random items - and I've never been ''accosted by security' in my life.

5 hours ago, Mister M said:

I had this when I went into Sports Direct to buy some shorts.

On my way out there was a security guy asking to look in my bag, thankfully I had the receipt.

I felt insulted, and I vowed I wouldn't go in there again. 

Thank your lucky stars he didn’t ask to look in your shorts!😃

echo.

There’s a regular bunch of street people that camp up outside Lidl on High St.  I saw the security guard trying to move them on in the morning but they weren’t budging. That shop must have a lot of problems with shoplifting.  

I don’t use Aldi much but have heard on MSE forum this is standard practice now which is why I don’t understand the do you want your receipt question from the person on the till.

• Like 1

When I use a supermarket I use a trolly and transfer goods paid for at the checkout into bags, if security wish to check my bags they are welcome to do so, albeit they would be wasting their time and efforts. I reckon that they don’t trust folk that don’t use, at least one of their baskets, and this must come from experience.:huh:

They could be doing occasional checks on their co-workers....not just the customers. I always use a proper check-out at supermarkets, the last time ...and only time...I checked myself out there was an error, and was grateful that my bag was searched, they found the 'missing' item, I paid, but did not feel any guilt, as I blamed the supermarket for not providing enough checkout staff

13 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I've never been stopped but that doesn't stop me having my own views.

Years ago,  You stood at the counter and the shop assistants used to SERVE you.      Now,  they insist you SERVE YOURSELF  to save them money.         Serves em reight.

I agree entirely.

rip off merchants.

same as the 10p tax on plastic carrier bags which now means they flog you paper bags in marks and spencer for 30p whilst you check yourself out.

Personally, if I've kept my part of the bargain (i.e. I've paid for all my shopping), I'm not going to stop so they can go through my bags. 'No, sorry mate' and out the door. There's nothing they can do about it because I've done nothing wrong.

28 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Personally, if I've kept my part of the bargain (i.e. I've paid for all my shopping), I'm not going to stop so they can go through my bags. 'No, sorry mate' and out the door. There's nothing they can do about it because I've done nothing wrong.

You rebel you!!!

41 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

You rebel you!!!

Haha. It really is a 'them' issue though, not a 'me' issue. I'm not sorting out their issues for them. It's different to showing your train ticket because the law requires you to show your ticket, whereas the burden of proof of theft from a shop is on the shop. Fuggem.

If they search your bag and find everything paid for, you should be rewarded with a money off voucher on your next shop as a thank you for being a honest customer....

• Haha 1