4 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Given the reported news today of Alexis Navalny's death,. it's worth reminding ourselves just how lucky we are to have the vote, and many of the benefits of living in a society like ours.

In the main although some areas can be toxic.

I always vote.  That way I earn the right to either gloat or moan. 

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

I think voting should be compulsory as it is in countries like Australia, with the caveat that 'none of the above' is included as an option for the disenchanted.

I don’t care for making it compulsory, wouldn’t that make it a law? Too many laws already, who’s going to uphold it? Will the police have to drag them from their homes for not putting a cross on a piece of paper? :gag:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I don’t care for making it compulsory, wouldn’t that make it a law? Too many laws already, who’s going to uphold it? Will the police have to drag them from their homes for not putting a cross on a piece of paper? :gag:

I agree.

But I would like to see voting made more easy.  Maybe hold elections over a weekend and trial online voting.

I used to vote until around 2019. I won't be bothering next time or at any point in the near future. The only two options result in exactly the same thing, which most of the people don't want anyway.

IMO we need a new voting system altogether. It's ridiculous that a party can take power with a mere third of the votes, meaning two thirds of the population don't want them. Voting for anything but the main parties is a waste of a vote, anything but the main parties will never win  an election. 

Our two party system is designed to be confrontational.

I would rather see a system that encourages cooperation and the best brains working toether to solve our many problems, but I doubt it will ever happen in this country, based as it is on our aristocracy being superior beings with a sense of entitlement, and therefore having an automatic right to rule over us. They continue to hold onto it like glue and will never surrender it willingly.

7 hours ago, MyFriendStan said:

Watching the BBC news earlier it showed the results of the 2 by elections held yesterday the turn outs were 37% and 38% it got me thinking how many people actually use their votes when  elections come round each to their own but surely people have a chance to change things or are they happy with their lot, When i reached voting age my dad said you have the vote now go out and use it which i always have.

That is just 37/38% of those registered to vote, the figure will be much lower if you counted all elidgable voters.

2 hours ago, Prettytom said:

I agree.

But I would like to see voting made more easy.  Maybe hold elections over a weekend and trial online voting.

The Conservatives made it harder to vote, intentionally. Voter ID made things worse.

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I always vote.  That way I earn the right to either gloat or moan. 

What a self indulgent response. The pain, struggle and sacrifice our forebears went through to get the vote just so that you could gloat or moan.

35 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

What a self indulgent response. The pain, struggle and sacrifice our forebears went through to get the vote just so that you could gloat or moan.

Do you vote every time ?

3 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Do you vote every time ?

Every time?

1 minute ago, Mister Gee said:

Every time?

Local and General elections .