Memories Of Sheffield Forum

Sheffield Forum has been around for 22 years this December (pre-dating Facebook, which was started 20 years ago today)!

There are so many stories to tell, great posters, useful topics and more from over the years.

So, let’s allow ourselves to reminisce a little… what have been your favourite things about Sheffield Forum? Who are the legendary posters? What’s been the funniest posts? What’s been the most memorable stuff?

Over to you…

• Like 1

I remember when you could edit a post a few minutes after posting it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

I've floated in and out over the years but always wonder what happened to some previous posters. There was a lad off of the Gleadless Valley who posted a lot about the Owls, came across as a decent sort but didn't half take some crap along the way, can't remember his u/n, ah, just thought. Was it Corky or  similar. Probably 6/7 years ago.

Then there was Potlegs, around the same time, female Owl. They should be encouraged back if they're still around. Big plusses.

Then we had a Halibut and a Cyclone, they had their backsides jammed up their..................well lets just say the sun don't shine there.

I used to have a right laugh at some of the posters who had comedy accounts on here:

Green Web

Lad on dole

Sues_budgie

Basil Rathbone was also posted some memorable stuff. 

Was often 2000- 2500 signed in at anytime you logged on.

Facebook has a lot to answer for.

Met quite a few really nice folk doing work for them

I sometimes wonder if anyone graduated from Central University...

28 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Halibut was one of the biggest cry babies on here .

I remember when I had him convinced I was his ex weed dealer from Hillsborough. 

He absolutely shat himself and was always ever so polite to me 🤣

• Haha 1

I remember the old mods and their little clique that they'd allowed to flout the rules constantly but if you weren't in that circle and you put a comma out of place, out came the ban hammer... 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Resident said:

I remember the old mods and their little clique that they'd allowed to flout the rules constantly but if you weren't in that circle and you put a comma out of place, out came the ban hammer... 

Remember it well :thumbsup:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Hopman said:

You mean the Neepsend Tip Site?

I think there are quite a few graduates from that institution of here 😂

39 minutes ago, Hopman said:

Ah yes, Timmo's "invention" as I remember. Also liked Lord Chaverley's tales of his hippopotamus, Hortense, Alcoblogs tree penguins of Hillsborough Park. and miniminch's many failures to get off with a woman.

Padders Bar follows in this great tradition.

• Like 3

I used to really enjoy the long, but very funny posts by a certain member. He once said that it took him up to a day to get the post just as he wanted. I believe he became victim to the despot mods & and "I am God" Admin regime, and posts removed, then banned or left. I seem to remember there were others with a good sense of humour. Now all gone due to silly rules and starring out not so crude words. Most of us are over an age where they don't cause offence.

Around that time we had some funny posters, some more serious but very factual. Not so much copy and paste as it is today. They were always open to sensible debate.

I used to remember a For Sale section that was very busy. Well laid out and easy to navigate. Scam merchants were quickly found, named and shamed...remember Dennis? He's still on Gumtree with his 20+ user accounts, all with one star! It was a good section and very few problems with buying/selling reported.

I remember when people weren't scared to ask a basic question in the Computers thread without getting a snide reply from people that really know nothing. It was also a very busy section of the forum. Anything illegal started as a topic would soon have been handled by the Forum Helper, but they got the boot too!

It was a good forum, that was enjoyable to be on.

• Like 1