If You Could Change Something From Your Past

What would it be?

Re write a past wrong?

Take that job you decided against?

Give a relationship another go?

Anything.

For me? I never had the bottle to buy my own home. I had the money for a deposit, the steady income and the opportunity but the thought of saddling myself with a debt for 20 years was too much. At first I was happy with my choices but looking back it was a big error of judgment and one I'd go back and change if I could.

What would you change?

Nothing  . It led to where I am today , skint but happy .

Edited by hackey lad

Nothing. Happy living out here with our lass in the French countryside after 40 odd years working / living in Sheffield. Two kids in Sheffield both with decent paid jobs.

• Like 1

Not spending more time with people who aren't here anymore.

• Like 2

Selling a property in London in 1999 because it had made a small profit in the 3 years of owning it and I wanted to travel the world with the profit.

If I had waited another 5 years I could have taken early retirement!!

Edited by Al Bundy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Selling a property in London in 1999 because it had made a small profit in the 3 years of owning it and I wanted to travel the world with the profit.

If I had waited another 5 years I could have taken early retirement!!

I think decisions regarding property come  into the equation for a lot of people Al.

I was born in Beauchief in a house that my parents rented but had the chance to buy.

Understandably perhaps because it was wartime and bombs were dropping all around them they declined.

It’s a decision I know they regretted but eventually they moved to a new house on a post war estate and with a bit of encouragement bought it under the ‘right to buy’ scheme.

On life’s journey we meet many crossroads.

In 1970 I had a two way choice. I had been accepted on a one year training course with my present employer but also offered a post in the civil service in the Dept of Education and Science which would have meant moving to London. At the time I was seeing the girl who was to become my wife and of course ❤️ won out in the end. 
It’s not really a regret but I sometimes wonder if I had settled in London in 1970 and bought a house down there then when I retired I might have bought a castle up here.😀

My parents’ experience certainly had an influence on me because I was determined to buy a house and did so in ‘72 just after getting married. Still live here 52 years later, 3 kids later, with the girl who changed my life.

echo.

Edited by echo beach
  • Like 1

In 1976 I went to a hotel in Manchester for an interview with a communications company in Alberta, Canada.

I didn't take the job and why, because on the way home on the train through the Hope Valley where the setting sun on an Autumn day covered those hills in some fantastic colours, I thought I don't want to leave this scenery even though Canada would have offered me something similar.

Life could have been so different, do I regret my decision, NO, life here in Sheffield has been more than good to me.

Not going to university. I was so unhappy in The Convent High School For Girls that I left early. If my parents had left me in Shirecliffe school I would have gone.

Wish I'd rented a dry barn somewhere and kept all those old £50 Minis I used to buy .

• Like 2

Not taken up smoking as a teenager.

Not being nicer to Padders and Flapper.  Retract that statement!  the pair of Hooligans.  :hihi:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

Not going to university. I was so unhappy in The Convent High School For Girls that I left early. If my parents had left me in Shirecliffe school I would have gone.

I, like you pattricia never got chance to go to university when I was 18. 
Did get accepted later in life however when I was married with two children.

It was hard financially but we’ll worth it.

Never forget the expressions on the faces of the youngsters in my group when this ‘old bloke’ got the best marks in our first written assignment. Perhaps they learned a lesson then that experience counts for a lot in life and you’re never to old to learn!😀

echo.

Edited by echo beach