What ever happened to the Rag Mag?

Hi Rachel,

Re. Rag mags. I am an English Student at Sheffield Uni and about to embark on a project regarding rag mags. Please could you provide me with some further information or better still provide me with copies? Do you know where I could get hold past copies of the Twikker?

Thanks for your help,

Helen

search ebay all categories rag mag 1 seller 5 mags ends 25/10/06

Let us know if the new 1 comes of keep it real not tamed down

Some time ago I posted a request for a portion of the contents of a Rag Mag that was published around 1958 - 59 - 60' Yes indeed, back in the mid 20th century. The mags that were around then were excellent & I'm delighted to read that there is a new Editor & that he hopes all will be well againg. Give him your support & ensure that it is a success. Good mags, bring super income.

i am not a graduate from Sheffield, but from Manchester. However, I wish you all well in your studies.

---------- Post added 07-08-2015 at 19:29 ----------

Whoops !!!!!! Sorry Rachel. I typed in the incorrect gender when I sent of my last note. I wishh you every success with the Editing.

Allan, A bit late to be wishing her luck, she took over in 2004 according to he date of her post!

Here are a few jokes from the 1964 Twikker..:)

Another one from same era T'wikker: 'Definitions':- Juniper - a young Hebrew.

Edited by stpetre
spell

I used to buy the rag mag for many years but the price kept going up till it was over fiver, it used to full of jokes many of them near the knuckle but hat didn't bother me the jokes dropped off and was just full of adverts page after page of them so with the lack of jokes and story's and the cost I stopped buying years ago. I don't think it's printed any more as advertizer's dropped off. it might still be going but don't think so :confused:

I used to buy the rag mag for many years but the price kept going up till it was over fiver, it used to full of jokes many of them near the knuckle but hat didn't bother me the jokes dropped off and was just full of adverts page after page of them so with the lack of jokes and story's and the cost I stopped buying years ago. I don't think it's printed any more as advertizer's dropped off. it might still be going but don't think so :confused:

I suppose Hillsbro has the better (like everything else he's got) -early '60s-editions of T'wikker, only about two bob then.

It's being sold on the Moor this week, £3 each.

I suppose Hillsbro has the better (like everything else he's got) -early '60s-editions of T'wikker, only about two bob then.
I must have a dozen or more Twikkers, but I'll have to look in the archives..:P I'd love to have a peep at the 1950 edition, but it seems none have survived - see here..:(

... I'd love to have a peep at the 1950 edition, but it seems none have survived - see here..:(
I hadn't realised that the 1949 and 1950 editions had run into so much trouble and were suppressed. Of course it was a less permissive age, and their content might not have been considered so offensive nowadays. It's a pity that Twikker faded away, also the famous boat race! I imagine the latter fell victim to Health & Safety; I have fond memories of watching the race from Ball Street Bridge, Nursery Street etc. I also remember that in one Twikker, the boat race announcement included the boast "The wonderful boat race, often imitated - e.g. Oxford & Cambridge". :)

i have lived and worked in sheffield most ofmy life and i have never heard anyone say twicker when they mean ta wicker