Sheffield xmas market

Resident

25 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Maybe because some people can survive a day out somewhere without resorting to a drink. Some people are more than capable of just going to an event and enjoying the surroundings, looking at the goods, maybe indulging in a nice premium hot chocolate or some speciality food.

Not everyone is going there to get tanked up.

Just on the parking point, to factually correct... it's only £28 on a weekend before 3:00 p.m. later times or during Monday to Friday it can be down to £17 or even £11 for a car.  Still not cheap admittedly but what does one expect for a special event at a stately home.

When I have been to Chatsworth we have parked up somewhere else and walked in. Garden centre isn't far away, neither is Baslow. A pleasant walk from the latter especially. 

I appreciate it depends on the weather and your mobility. 

16 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

To be fair, all of those cars must do a lot of damage to the grass when parked on them. The gardener may have to re-seed it all afterwards.

Go and have a look.
They have several events, with massive parking, every year and use companies that lay "matting" for the temporary parking sites.
Occasionally, there may be some remedial work done but if you visit several months later, you would not notice any difference.

The most 'serious' remedial work that I saw at Chatsworth was after the RHS Show a few years ago. It was planned and budgeted and you can't see any signs of damage, from that event, now.

On 19/11/2023 at 20:37, hauxwell said:

They are advertising day trips to Sheffield Christmas market or a separate trip to Meadowhall from Newcastle and Gateshead this coming Saturday. So get ready the Geordies are going to be invading Sheffield or Meadowhall on that day, you’ll know who they are when they start to talk. 

The Christmas market in Newcastle is now in full swing.  We probably have the same festive stalls as Sheffield, but it’s the way in which all the stalls/log cabins have been arranged, it doesn’t look as nice as Sheffield.  Just before the first lockdown I thought Sheffield Christmas market was magical. The Big Wheel was at Barkers Pool and a Carousel, log cabins and decorations in The Peace Gardens, Newcastle’s Christmas Market was a bit of a let down after seeing Sheffields. No wonder they are doing day trips from up here to Sheffield. JH coaches will be the first ones heading to Sheffield this Saturday. 

A few people I know have booked a day trip and I have told them they won’t be disappointed

bet the majority are off to meadowhall,skipton has a great xmas market ,it must be very busy with coaches as its all ways booked up ,when trying to run private association trips there.

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

bet the majority are off to meadowhall,skipton has a great xmas market ,it must be very busy with coaches as its all ways booked up ,when trying to run private association trips there.

I doubt it.  They are going on a trip to the Christmas market. That is what its for.  A day out in a different city, looking at different surroundings and enjoying a special event.

Can't see why they would pay for a coach trip to go to a shopping centre the same as they have on their doorstep.   Surely got to be the attraction they're coming for.

Always seems to be the instant put downs and complaints as soon as anything is opened.

Really just seems to be increasing number of miserable whingy gets on this forum. Cry when things don't happen in this city, cry when things  do happen. Declare everything's too expensive and a rip off whilst declaring everything is too cheap and tacky.  Crying about no quality retailers or premium brands in the city, but then crying about everything being too pretentious and not for "proper sheffielders"

Seems exactly the same breed of people who dominate the comments sections of all the local papers whenever and wherever a new project or retailer or bar or venue or initiative or attraction is announced.  From the Sheffield Star to the Manchester Evening News to the Eastern Daily Press to Plymouth Live. 

Article gets published and there they come.  Waaa, it looks horrible...   Waaa it's too expensive...  Waaa X has a better one than ours...  Waaa, it's all just imported tat....   Waaa, how many nurses/schools/carers/other would that have paid for...   Waaa how dare you charge me for parking....   Waaa it's just for the young ones...   Waaa , I want everything back how it was 50 years ago....

Proper gets on your wick.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

I doubt it.  They are going on a trip to the Christmas market. That is what its for.  A day out in a different city, looking at different surroundings and enjoying a special event.

Can't see why they would pay for a coach trip to go to a shopping centre the same as they have on their doorstep.   Surely got to be the attraction they're coming for.

Always seems to be the instant put downs and complaints as soon as anything is opened.

Really just seems to be increasing number of miserable whingy gets on this forum. Cry when things don't happen in this city, cry when things  do happen. Declare everything's too expensive and a rip off whilst declaring everything is too cheap and tacky.  Crying about no quality retailers or premium brands in the city, but then crying about everything being too pretentious and not for "proper sheffielders"

Seems exactly the same breed of people who dominate the comments sections of all the local papers whenever and wherever a new project or retailer or bar or venue or initiative or attraction is announced.  From the Sheffield Star to the Manchester Evening News to the Eastern Daily Press to Plymouth Live. 

Article gets published and there they come.  Waaa, it looks horrible...   Waaa it's too expensive...  Waaa X has a better one than ours...  Waaa, it's all just imported tat....   Waaa, how many nurses/schools/carers/other would that have paid for...   Waaa how dare you charge me for parking....   Waaa it's just for the young ones...   Waaa , I want everything back how it was 50 years ago....

Proper gets on your wick.

Well said Councillor.

3 hours ago, rogets said:

Thats not the point, a unicorn was one of the attractions for this particular attraction, not a horse with a cone on its nose.

You'll not see them south of the border, obviously.  Edinburgh has one every year at the Princes Street markets.  It's offered up as sacrifice at Hogmanay, then the body is blessed and stored in the crypts of St Giles' Cathedral until ritual burning at the Beltane fire festival on Calton Hill in April.  The horn is used to replace the previous year's offering on the Mercat Cross unicorn in Parliament Square.  It protects the city from invasion and grants continued prosperity.

1 hour ago, Hecate said:

You'll not see them south of the border, obviously.  Edinburgh has one every year at the Princes Street markets.  It's offered up as sacrifice at Hogmanay, then the body is blessed and stored in the crypts of St Giles' Cathedral until ritual burning at the Beltane fire festival on Calton Hill in April.  The horn is used to replace the previous year's offering on the Mercat Cross unicorn in Parliament Square.  It protects the city from invasion and grants continued prosperity.

Wow , never knew that .