Wilko Collapses Into Administration

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Home Bargains and B&M took their business.

And Savers for medical & general health products.

Last time I was in Wilko half the shelves were empty.  Only one person on the tills, massive queue and the self serve tills were all out of order.

I noticed the fact their shelves were alarmingly empty in Aug last year, and much of the year before that.

The staff just said they were having difficulty getting stock, and I believed them !

Edited by Chekhov

14 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I noticed the fact their shelves were alarmingly empty in Aug last year, and much of the year before that.

The staff just said they were having difficulty getting stock, and I believed them !

I used to go to Wilkos for a specific product and over the last year they've never had any in. Other retailers stock the same  product but the reason I went to Wilkos was because it was priced lower. 

I've ended up ordering direct from the manufacturer via their website, similar price but I have to add delivery costs too & if I run out I can't just pop into a store and get it without paying over the odds

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Home Bargains and B&M took their business.

And Savers for medical & general health products.

Last time I was in Wilko half the shelves were empty.  Only one person on the tills, massive queue and the self serve tills were all out of order.

I went in last week for 6 unrelated items and came out with non

1 hour ago, Resident said:

I used to go to Wilkos for a specific product and over the last year they've never had any in. Other retailers stock the same  product but the reason I went to Wilkos was because it was priced lower. 

I've ended up ordering direct from the manufacturer via their website, similar price but I have to add delivery costs too & if I run out I can't just pop into a store and get it without paying over the odds

TBH I have kept using Wilko Hillsborough out of habit as much as anything. I knew where everything was and could pop in and out faster than Home Bargains or B&M.

But, their self checkouts didn't take cash (I don't like putting anything under about a tenner on my card) and the queues for the only till they generally had open were sometimes off putting.

Many of their products weren't actually that cheap any more (Morrisons LED bulbs were cheaper and had a "15 year warranty"), and some of their products were poor quality. I can remember years back, 1980s/90s when their tools were good quality.

Guest ThaBoom
6 hours ago, iansheff said:

I did a search to see if anyone had posted but nothing came up, just got the "Breaking News" on the BBC app that Wilko hascollapsed into administration. So will this be another giant company off the high street or will it be saved.

Wilko collapses into administration putting 12,000 jobs at risk - BBC News

Hopefully some may get saved- surely not all of the stores would be making losses?

May be some staff could join BM, The Range or similar businesses, if needed.

I think Covid didn't help, then we hit living crisis, high inflation including sky high energy prices- stuff like this can finish even big chains.

17 minutes ago, ThaBoom said:

Hopefully some may get saved- surely not all of the stores would be making losses?

May be some staff could join BM, The Range or similar businesses, if needed.

I think Covid didn't help, then we hit living crisis, high inflation including sky high energy prices- stuff like this can finish even big chains.

Wilko benefited from covid because they sell medicines and were allowed to stay open.  Wilko sell gardening stuff which was in high demand during the lockdown.