Wilko Collapses Into Administration

I did a search to see if anyone had posted but nothing came up, just got the "Breaking News" on the BBC app that Wilko hascollapsed into administration. So will this be another giant company off the high street or will it be saved.

Wilko collapses into administration putting 12,000 jobs at risk - BBC News

It’s not the first and will be nowhere near to the last, if and when things settle down we will most probably buy most things from the large supermarkets and on-line, if we already don’t do so.

Home Bargains and B&M took their business.

And Savers for medical & general health products.

Last time I was in Wilko half the shelves were empty.  Only one person on the tills, massive queue and the self serve tills were all out of order.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Last time I was in Wilko half the shelves were empty.  Only one person on the tills, massive queue and the self serve tills were all out of order.

Wilkinsons is the go to place for me , not the others.  I agree that recently there have been empty shelves and fewer staff but maybe it was a bit of cost cutting to try and help them.

What a shame. I've always liked Wilkinsons / Wilko.

23 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What a shame. I've always liked Wilkinsons / Wilko.

King of shops :thumbsup:

I didn't know the company was as old as it is, it was started over 90 years ago in 1930 with a shop in Leicester.

I have used the one at crystap peaks, fair prices but a severe staff problem on the shop floor , actually trying to find a member of staff to assist you is a nightmare.  :roll:

Hmmm... :huh:

Well I blame SCC! :rant:

Wilko's has been struggling ever since SCC closed the Castle Market! :roll:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

They found themselves in all the wrong locations and couldn't or wouldn't do anything to resolve the situation.

Mostly in large, town centre locations, which are both expensive and facing ever dwindling footfall.

Meanwhile B&M, Home Bargains etc got setup in retail parks, and they've been doing very well.

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

I noticed the fact their shelves were alarmingly empty in Aug last year, and much of the year before that.

The staff just said they were having difficulty getting stock, and I believed them !

Edited by Chekhov

14 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I noticed the fact their shelves were alarmingly empty in Aug last year, and much of the year before that.

The staff just said they were having difficulty getting stock, and I believed them !

I used to go to Wilkos for a specific product and over the last year they've never had any in. Other retailers stock the same  product but the reason I went to Wilkos was because it was priced lower. 

I've ended up ordering direct from the manufacturer via their website, similar price but I have to add delivery costs too & if I run out I can't just pop into a store and get it without paying over the odds