What Are The Best Hearing Aids?

3 hours ago, Padders said:

Can anyone get a free hearing aid on the NHS.

My daughters keep telling me get one, mind you they talk in whispers.

Yes I think anyone can get them if they need them. The doctor will refer you and the hospital/ clinic, and they will do all the necessary tests to find out. 

I didn't think I needed them either, even though I was having trouble hearing what people were saying on TV, even with the sound up, but I thought it was because they were all mumbling. I was having to use the subtitles to see what people were saying.

Then during Lockdown when people were wearing masks I couldn't tell what they were saying, and realised how much I was relying on lip reading,  I think I went for a test at Boots at some stage, (probably because Doctors were out of bounds at the time) and they confirmed I had problems with certain pitches. (They also tried to sell me very expensive hearing aids, but I declined, and decided to wait.)

However with the NHS hearing aids everything's as clear as a bell.  I didn't realise just how poor my hearing was at certain pitches until I got them. They're easy to use, very comfortable and discrete, you can barely see them. They really make a world of difference.

They're great.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yes I think anyone can get them if they need them. The doctor will refer you and the hospital/ clinic, and they will do all the necessary tests to find out. 

I didn't think I needed them either, even though I was having trouble hearing what people were saying on TV, even with the sound up, but I thought it was because they were all mumbling. I was having to use the subtitles to see what people were saying.

Then during Lockdown when people were wearing masks I couldn't tell what they were saying, and realised how much I was relying on lip reading,  I think I went for a test at Boots at some stage, (probably because Doctors were out of bounds at the time) and they confirmed I had problems with certain pitches. (They also tried to sell me very expensive hearing aids, but I declined, and decided to wait.)

However with the NHS hearing aids everything's as clear as a bell.  I didn't realise just how poor my hearing was at certain pitches until I got them. They're easy to use, very comfortable and discrete, you can barely see them. They really make a world of difference.

They're great.

Second that. NHS hearing aids are the best and they supply all the replacement batteries that you need.  I really don't understand why anyone would pay privately for a hearing aid unless it is because private hearing aids may be less visible on size?    People like Doctor Hillary annoy me,  he is wheeled out on television advising the public on medical matters and then appears in an ad for private hearing aids when what he should be doing is telling people use the NHS.

9 hours ago, Anna B said:

They're great.

Thank you Anna, that's very informative.

I'm having exactly the same problems you describe, sub-titles on, people mumbling etc.

I've seen them advertised for as little as £29, obviously they'll be rubbish.

But I've got an "Easylife every day solutions" leaflet, which I've saved.

£129-99 think it's for each ear, so that would be £400.

The write up sounds fantastic, (well it would be) I've been thinking about trying those.

Also googled them and some prices are extortionate, But I always believe you get what you pay for, but after reading about your experience, it's got me thinking.

What bugs me is, why do people pay good money when the NHS provides them for free?

I think I've got ear wax, and maybe they just want syringing.

I have a health check up every year, so last year I asked the doctor to have a look, he looked in my ears and told me they were both full of wax, so this year (June) I decided to have em syringed, went in and I saw the nurse, I asked her about having em syringed, she had a look and told me their as clear as a bell, and she could see the membrane quite clearly?

I can manage as I am, but my daughter's keep nagging me "GET AN HEARING AID DAD"

I'll have to do summat just to shut em up.

Sigh.

12 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I have an NHS hearing aid.

The only problem I find id when in a crowded room the sound becomes unbearable at times.

Thanks Harvey,

Maybe that's why people pay for them, those I've seen advertised filter out background sound, and "Claim" to have better clarity.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Thanks Harvey,

Maybe that's why people pay for them, those I've seen advertised filter out background sound, and "Claim" to have better clarity.

Nahhhh, its all a sales tactic. Got quoted a ridiculous price by Boots with all sorts of claims

Went and got mine from NHS, work perfectly and tuned to the exact frequencies i am low on.

for clarity, just keep them regularly cleaned out as any wax dulls the sound

• Thanks 1