Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

1 hour ago, birobasher said:

If you want to be able to live comfortably in the world over the next few decades, then net zero is the bare minimum that we need. Global heating has been disrupting weather patterns and oceanic currents for decades already. Farming basic foods depends on a steady ecosystem. Extreme weather events caused by global heating will increase in severity and frequency, and in turn they increase global heating. There will come a time when these feedback loops make life first very difficult, then practically impossible. If you're worried about immigration now, just wait until tropical areas become impossible to farm. Drought and famine  will drive vast numbers overseas.

In Sheffield, if you can enable people to use cleaner, cheaper and healthier methods of transport, everybody wins. Many people are forced to use cars because public transport has been systematically ruined since privatisation. If you knew you could get where you're going on cheap, clean and reliable public transport, the amount of emissions from private vehicles would fall greatly. Electric vehicles are better than petrol/diesel, but better still is not having so many private cars with just one person in them. Fifteen minute cities are a good idea, and nothing to do with the insane, paranoid delusions of the covid/Vaccine conspiracy fundamentalists. 

451 posts into the thread and Joseph Goebbels turns up.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, top4718 said:

451 posts into the thread and Joseph Goebbels turns up.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQgx-j1OwceLOPBj9xCyZ

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

They don’t use the words 15 min cities because the development plans they are talking about aren’t associated with that theory, they are just development plans for small areas around the city centre.

Development plans like that have been coming along for as long as I can remember. They reference the things that are important in adopted planning policy and hence are of interest to potential developers. That’s all they are.

Councillor Richard Shaw disagrees with you.

https://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=25264

10 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Councillor Richard Shaw disagrees with you.

https://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=25264

Ah, lovely.  Maybe point out where on that link it says people will be forced to stay in these neighbourhoods - the very issue a large number of morons seem to be protesting against.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ah, lovely.  Maybe point out where on that link it says people will be forced to stay in these neighbourhoods - the very issue a large number of morons seem to be protesting against.

I haven't said that so I'm not interested, a poster above said it was nothing to do with any 15 minute concept yes this motion mentions it numerous times, what's your opinion of that?

2 minutes ago, top4718 said:

I haven't said that so I'm not interested, a poster above said it was nothing to do with any 15 minute concept yes this motion mentions it numerous times, what's your opinion of that?

Sounds great tbh. Everything on your doorstep, whats not to like? Nobody is being "forced" to do or go anywhere.

I would like a better supermarket near where I am without getting the car out. Premier shops are rubbish.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Sounds great tbh. Everything on your doorstep, whats not to like? Nobody is being "forced" to do or go anywhere.

I would like a better supermarket near where I am without getting the car out. Premier shops are rubbish.

So where are the plans for all these things to be built, surely some development would need to start soon.

My question wasn't really aimed at the concept but why a poster should claim the Councils aims are nothing to do with the concept but this clearly claims it wants to adopt it?

Just now, top4718 said:

So where are the plans for all these things to be built, surely some development would need to start soon.

Dunno. Its only an aspirational thing anyway as far I can see.  

As long as nobody gets exploding collars or GPS chips implanted in their brains I dont really see the harm.

• Like 1

As long as nobody gets exploding collars or GPS chips implanted in their brains I dont really see the harm.

Yup - more a theoretical framework than a strategic plan.

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

The poster is saying it's nothing to do with it, I don't really want or need your opinion on it or lame jokes, I'm asking why you think a poster who's posts you largely agree with is claiming the opposite to what the council clearly want's to implement:

therefore believes that as a Council we should work towards the concept of ‘15 minute neighbourhoods’, reducing time and distance to access services; meaning residents should have within a 15-minute journey via foot, cycle or other mobility aid from their home: living, working, commerce, healthcare, education, entertainment, parks and green spaces;

I have drunk far too much to even work out what your argument is against him, tbh.

Imagine if these 15 minute zones had ANPR cameras. Also imagine if you were only allowed to drive out of your area say 100 times a year. Any further trips in the car you had to pay a fee/fine unless you had prior permission. 

Would that take the gloss of it a bit?