Albert Quixall

I was looking at something today 'England footballers in early 1950s', and according to them, Albert Quixall (Parson Cross lad)  was 5'71/2" tall (or short). he seemed to be a lot taller from Wednesday's Kop when I was a kid in 1958. I don't think he scored many headed goals tho'.

Edited by St Petre
add

57 minutes ago, St Petre said:

I was looking at something today 'England footballers in early 1950s', and according to them, Albert Quixall (Parson Cross lad)  was 5'71/2" tall (or short). he seemed to be a lot taller from Wednesday's Kop when I was a kid in 1958. I don't think he scored many headed goals tho'.

About that time my dad used to play for Rossington Colliery in the County Senior - he was 5ft 8in and played centre half and was considered fairly big .

Ron Springett and Alan Hodgkinson, the Owls and Blades goalies late 50's early 60's were hardly giants.

28 minutes ago, Longcol said:

About that time my dad used to play for Rossington Colliery in the County Senior - he was 5ft 8in and played centre half and was considered fairly big .

Ron Springett and Alan Hodgkinson, the Owls and Blades goalies late 50's early 60's were hardly giants.

28 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Yes, both England goalies and another from that era, Eddie Hopkinson (Bolton) wasn't of a great height. As for the Blades, early 1960s, Joe Shaw and Derek Pace-one a centre half the other a centre forward- were like five foot eight (or so), imagine that today even for an  international player. As an aside Longcol; I know Rossington is near Doncaster but what was the County Senior ? I'd forgot about that league.

Albert was a local hero around the Cross and used to walk to games passing under the five arches on Herries rooooad , I saw him run half the length of the field with ball balanced on his head at one game , forget if it was in actual play or not .

54 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Albert was a local hero around the Cross and used to walk to games passing under the five arches on Herries rooooad , I saw him run half the length of the field with ball balanced on his head at one game , forget if it was in actual play or not .

Cuttsie, the article i was referring to showed Albert in SWFC training kit so probably not a regular game..but wait... another one is in an Owl's button up. open neck shirt (remember them ?) but that could have been during the pre-match warm up,  Was Albert from Doe Royd Crescent and was Tony Kay from Parson Cross or Southey Green ?

27 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Cuttsie, the article i was referring to showed Albert in SWFC training kit so probably not a regular game..but wait... another one is in an Owl's button up. open neck shirt (remember them ?) but that could have been during the pre-match warm up,  Was Albert from Doe Royd Crescent and was Tony Kay from Parson Cross or Southey Green ?

My Mrs knew the Quixalls as she was of the Cross as well , (I only mix with well bred people ) So I will ask her in the morning where they lived ( darn't wake her up now she will think I want my Christmas leg over ),

we had some great players,kay,lane,swan,fantham and lots more and they didnt earn big cash in them days,often thought the betting lads where made a example of  and there was a lot more to that story ,than ever came out,such a shame for the talent they had.

Tony Kay lived I n Southey Hill just past St Bernards,apparently he used to catch the bus to work.

21 minutes ago, bassett one said:

we had some great players,kay,lane,swan,fantham and lots more and they didnt earn big cash in them days,often thought the betting lads where made a example of  and there was a lot more to that story ,than ever came out,such a shame for the talent they had.

I once saw Johny Fantham score a goal at the Kop end sat on his arse in deep mud , The ball was centred not one defender bothered with him and he swung a leg and scored . I knew Johny in later life and not once did he mention football , golf , cricket yes but never football , he was a smashing lad was Johny .

9 hours ago, bassett one said:

It always amazes me how Owls fans still try to make excuses for players who clearly cheated their club and it's fans.